No announcement yet.

Do you ever buy car radios on eBay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob I value yours as well ,..... I would value these radios at somewhere between zero and one million dollars.....

Comment

Roy,

Unrelated question. We have one good oldies station in the Seattle area. It's not the traditional one as might be envisioned by this group, but a mixture of Big Band, popular 30's-50's music and 50's-60's Rock. The station has been around forever, at least as long as I can remember. Because I have a fairly large collection of cars, some with working period radios, and because of this station, I see no immediate need to "upgrade" any them. The problem is where I live, in the foothills, the signal strength is not reliable. Is there any reliable way to enhance the original reception?

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
        Roy,

Unrelated question. We have one good oldies station in the Seattle area. It's not the traditional one as might be envisioned by this group, but a mixture of Big Band, popular 30's-50's music and 50's-60's Rock. The station has been around forever, at least as long as I can remember. Because I have a fairly large collection of cars, some with working period radios, and because of this station, I see no immediate need to "upgrade" any them. The problem is where I live, in the foothills, the signal strength is not reliable. Is there any reliable way to enhance the original reception?
        Bill,

There is an adjustment called the antenna trimmer and it adjusts the input circuits of the radio to match the unique electrical characteristics of the car body - slightly different for each individual car. It will maximize the signal going to the radio from the antenna.

It is usually a small hole in the radio case near/by the antenna connection. It might say "ant" or "any adj" by the hole. 60's vintage Delco radios have the adjustment on the front and can be accessed by removing the manual tuning knob.

Put the antenna at full height and adjust the antenna trimmer like so:

-wait until after dark, when some stations go off the air
        -warm up the radio for 20 minutes or so to allow it to stabilize
        -put the antenna at the full operating height
        -park somewhere out doors and away from power lines
        -turn off the engine and turn the key counter clockwise to the accessory position
        -tune to a weak station in the upper one third of the dial (high numbers). Not a strong station poorly tuned in. It must be a weak station tuned in as well as possible
        -reduce the volume control to a low level, just barely audible
        -with a small screwdriver, adjust the trimmer screw for the most volume and bass. Do not touch any of the radio controls while doing this, only the antenna trimmer
        -do it again on another weak station on the high end of the dial
        Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-05-2021, 12:34 PM.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
        10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
        56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
        60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thank you Roy!
          Bill

Comment

Bill,
            Did you ever try trimming/adjusting the antennas in your vehicles?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

@Halabutt, I guess not?

Comment

Working...
              X