No announcement yet.

Do you ever buy car radios on eBay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently there is a 56 push button Sedan Radio on Ebay for $299.00. My non push radio works but all the numbers have dropped off. I already talked to Roy about this, they are NLA. Having time to think around ways to fix things, I thought about painting the numbers on the outside of the face plate and leave the radio still working in the car. Only thing is I don't have a picture of the radio face plate.

Do you think it is possible to do that? After painting I would put some type of protective plastic over the plate. Since the car is a driver and will never be shown at a SDC meet it just matters to me. Would I have to put some type of etching stuff on the glass before I paint it?

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
      Would I have to put some type of etching stuff on the glass before I paint it?
      I know on the '55's, the glass is etched from the backside, and I was able spray a coat of ivory paint on the backside of the glass, and when it got tacky after a few minutes, scraped the paint on the flat smooth surface away with a razor blade. The ivory paint remained in the recessed numerals and Conelrad symbols.

I believe '56-'58's are also etched from behind the glass? (I'm aware 1955 & earlier are Philco radios, and later car radios are Delco.)

Craig

Comment

Craig,

I am not sure if they were etched or not. I had contacted Roy about the glass face. Brent Hagan had made a silk screen for the 56 (J) models but is no longer doing that. Roy used the last one recently. Roy said all of the 56-57 Radio have had the numbers just fall off.

There is a place that does silk screen work here. I would be willing to take the radio out I just don't have a pattern for the numbers on the dial. I just tune it as I know most the oldies AM Jazz and Country. There is also a sport AM channel. So it looks like the 56-57 radio is distinct. The 55 is 6 volt, 58 changed and then 59-66 models all interchange. As someone said (JClary?) this is what we get for liking the cars we do.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          I believe '56-'58's are also etched from behind the glass?

Craig[/B]
          Nope. Not true

Just the facts, please.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-19-2020, 11:12 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
            and then 59-66 models all interchange.

Bob Miles
            Nope. Not true

Just the facts, please. ‚Äč
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-19-2020, 11:12 PM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              Nope. Not true.
              Okay, good to know! (Hence the question mark in my sentence.)

Craig

Comment

How about vinyl stick on computer graphics? Have them printed backwards and then stick them on the backside of the glass...

Comment

Roy,

You are right. I think it is 58-61 radios that will interchange, although I had heard that the 58 was one year only. This was the topic of discussion at our breakfast this morning. Bruce Sandburg mentioned he may have a couple of 56-7 core radios and is going to check how the glass dial plate is. Fingers crossed.

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
                  X