Foot switches on my 50?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot switches on my 50?

Why are there 2 foot switches on my Champion? What do they do?

One is headlight dimmer and other is starter switch which is engaged by clutch pedal
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks, there's a push button on the dash so I figured it was bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post
        If the button under the clutch pedal has been disengaged, then you probably have also lost its neutral safety function.

"All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I think I would call it more of a "Clutch Disengaged" Safety function that would be lost.

Using the Clutch and Switch, no matter what gear it is in, the Car will not be powered to move.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The foot operated starter solenoids are easy to find and not expensive.

Comment

The 50 Champion owners manual has been reprinted. It's the little booklet that sits in the glove box. It shows every button and control, how to shift and how to check the oil, and all sorts of good stuff.

the Studebaker vendors all have them.

http://studebakervendors.com/
              Last edited by RadioRoy; 08-17-2020, 02:01 PM.
              RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
              10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
              56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
              60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

While I didn’t see an owners manual for the ‘50 on this site. It’s where I got one for my ‘52. They have lots of original car literature. Good luck getting the car serviced without having to explain how to start and drive it to the kid behind the counter😉
                https://www.autopaper.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by Matt N View Post
                  A toggle switch, or push button, on the dash, is what Studebaker typically used on their 6 Volt cars, equipped with automatic transmissions. I know, they were first available, on the Commander models, in 1950. Although, I'm not certain, they were available in the Champions, at the same time? Perhaps not, until '51?

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Automatic Drive became available on all Studebaker car models mid-1950.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post

A toggle switch, or push button, on the dash, is what Studebaker typically used on their 6 Volt cars, equipped with automatic transmissions. I know, they were first available, on the Commander models, in 1950. Although, I'm not certain, they were available in the Champions, at the same time? Perhaps not, until '51?

Mark
                      I have a straight drive , and there actually 2 starter buttons on the dash.. one starter and it's right above the hood latch and says starter, and one below which is a pain to reach. I someone kept bypassing the them.

Comment

Well if someone Bi-passed the Two Starter Switches on & under the Dash AND the Floor Switch, that must mean you have NO way to start it at all, correct?

Are they both Momentary switches, or is the almost hidden one possibly a ON/OFF Two position Switch?
                        No one has asked if your "straight drive" Transmission is actually a 3 Speed Manual WITH Overdrive as most '50's actually are.

The reason I ask is, if someone also bi-passed or did not install the Overdrive Kickdown Switch, that hidden Switch could be an OFF/ON for Overdrive, OR ???.

Is there an O.D. marked Handle also under the Dash, Left side?

We already know this Car is not exactly as it was when it left the Factory.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 08-18-2020, 11:08 AM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          Well if someone Bi-passed the Two Starter Switches on & under the Dash AND the Floor Switch, that must mean you have NO way to start it at all, correct?

Are they both Momentary switches, or is the almost hidden one possibly a ON/OFF Two position Switch?
                          No one has asked if your "straight drive" Transmission is actually a 3 Speed Manual WITH Overdrive as most '50's actually are.

The reason I ask is, if someone also bi-passed or did not install the Overdrive Kickdown Switch, that hidden Switch could be an OFF/ON for Overdrive, OR ???.

Is there an O.D. marked Handle also under the Dash, Left side?

We already know this Car is not exactly as it was when it left the Factory.
                          Yes the one button on the dash that works, and it is momentary. I do have overdrive but it doesn't work.

Comment

How about some pictures of your dashboard and all the various switches? That might tell us something.

Gotta get that overdrive working, too. Your car probably has a 4.56 rear axle and the engine will top out around 40 miles per hour without it.

You don't want to kill that engine, do you?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200807_194701_resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1851493 Here you go. Does anyone have the scimatic of the OD circuit?

Comment

Working...
                              X