Identify V8 Engine in 1953 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify V8 Engine in 1953 Commander

Hello all, I'm new to Studebakers. I just got a 1953 Commander and am trying to identify the engine. I went to the link Studebaker V8 engine identification (http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp) but that doesn't seem to match exactly what I have. I have no idea if the engine is original. What I see is on the left, the numbers V320I80 and on the right a casting which has the number 4 and below it the numbers 535601. Any ideas? Thanks

Those are STARTING engine numbers in the table. Your engine is a 224 from a 1955 Commander.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum John!

What Transmission is behind your '55 Commander "224" Engine in a '53?
      I am thinking that one of the most common replacements for the original 232 V8, MIGHT have been, the whole '55 Engine and Trans. Combination: Detroit Gear DG-250M Automatic, 3 Speed Manual or 3 Speed Overdrive.

Is it a Commander Coupe, Hardtop, or Sedan ?
      Last edited by StudeRich; 08-13-2020, 02:52 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

OK now I see how the chart for engines works, thanks for explaining. Re the transmission, it is a 3 speed manual on the column with the handle below the dash for OD. Does that answer the question about what type of transmission it is?

I haven't tried the OD yet to see if it works. Any suggestions on any things I ought to check before I do? Thanks

Comment

Forgot to mention that it is a Starliner (without the B pillar.)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrater View Post
            OK now I see how the chart for engines works, thanks for explaining. Re the transmission, it is a 3 speed manual on the column with the handle below the dash for OD. Does that answer the question about what type of transmission it is?

I haven't tried the OD yet to see if it works. Any suggestions on any things I ought to check before I do? Thanks
            Check that the OD has gear oil in it - a separate filler/check port from the transmission.
            Learn how to properly use the OD before you try it and possibly damage it.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Forgot to mention that it is a Starliner (without the B pillar.)
              So, that means it is a Very desirable Hardtop!

One warning that all 3 Speed Manual Overdrive Car owners need to know: DO NOT EVER park the Car with the shifter in a forward Gear! Always use Reverse.

That is because, if the O.D handle happens to be IN, that means it is IN Overdrive. When you reach speeds of about 32 MPH and release the Go pedal it should shift to a Higher Ratio, and will work in either 2nd. or 3 rd.

HOWEVER, Below about 28-30 it will Coast and be in "Freewheeling", meaning that when Parked, it CAN roll away, NOT what you want to happen!

Of course not Neutral either, because if it works at all, you cannot always depend on the Parking Brake being properly adjusted and actually Working.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Any suggestions on any things I ought to check before I do? Thanks
                Randy Rundle's little Overdrive Guide book will tell you everything you need to know to use and service your overdrive unit.

https://fifthaveinternetgarage.com/overdrive_parts.php
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Working...
                X