How not to sell a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to sell a car

Someone on my FB posted a rather dreary and sad looking '56 Champion with a flat rear tire. Now, I'm not expert on advertising but one would think that a picture like that doesn't exactly entice anyone to buy it. The car was selling for $two thousand, which was cheap enough, to be sure, and a new tire doesn't cost much, but I always wonder what else might be wrong with it? Whatever happened to putting your best foot or, in this case, tire forward?
    peter lee

I see this sort of thing a lot. You would think that the least a seller could do is wash the car before taking a picture. How about vacuuming out the interior or blowing the cobwebs off the engine compartment. Even moving the vehicle to a nice, uncluttered location would sometimes help. Maybe they're just lazy.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Heres how I feel about it. People that post cars for sale like that are cleaning up an area that they dont care about the items that are in it. They see a little value in the item but at the end of the day they just want it gone. Hence the crappy sale ad. Then there is the other kind of person who doesnt want to put the elbow grease into make something of value more attractive for free. Makes you think about how they took care of the vehicle before it got to the state that it is now.

Either way, the interested party that wants it still has the same questions. Is the price worth the value to you? Can you use the "run down" state of the vehicle as a bargaining chip?

But yes, It doesn't make any sense to me either. It least hit it with some air and a hose.

Another One I hate that I have been seeing more of is when they post a picture of a really nice car. Then the description says, "Now that I have your attention, I have this (enter piece of crap here) for sale"
      Last edited by what huh; 08-13-2020, 09:37 AM.
      Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

It could have been someone who just wants it gone, or selling it as part of an estate sale or something.

Comment

OK so my wife bought this Bike off the web. It’s the wrong size for her so she rode it, like, once and then I hung it up in the garage for several years. When I was cleaning out the garage in preparation for my Hawk showing up, I got the bike down and cleaned it all up to put it on FB Marketplace. The whole time I was getting it ready, she was kind of berating me for “wasting my time futzing with that POS”, because if she didn’t want it, why would anyone else want it? So when it sold the same day I posted it and we could go out for a very nice dinner with the $ I got from it, she kind of realized what I was doing. Unfortunately now I have a whole list of household things I gotta clean up and post for sale...
          Its the same thing with our cars, anybody getting rid of Dad’s old Tri-5 he never finished asks $$$$$$ for it because of all the shiny car show examples (or the auction shows for stupid $) but that old Stude of Grampas that’s been in the backyard all their life, never has (appropriate) value in the seller’s eyes because they never saw a nice one go for decent $. So why take the 30 minutes to clean it up?
          Or something.
          Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Originally posted by plee4139 View Post
            Someone on my FB posted a rather dreary and sad looking '56 Champion with a flat rear tire. Now, I'm not expert on advertising but one would think that a picture like that doesn't exactly entice anyone to buy it. The car was selling for $two thousand, which was cheap enough, to be sure, and a new tire doesn't cost much, but I always wonder what else might be wrong with it? Whatever happened to putting your best foot or, in this case, tire forward?
            Conspiracy theory here.... they left the tire flat in order to aggravate somebody enough that they would speak about it on the Studebaker Forum, in turn hoping that it would draw attention and curiosity from forum readers so that they would look-up the ad on Facebook. Genius!! Several hundred views later, and the car is sold!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Don’t lowball me, I know what I got.
              1964 Studebaker GT Hawk
              1970 Jaguar E-Type 2+2
              2003 Ferrari 575 Maranello (3 Pedal)
              2007 Jaguar XK Convertible
              2011 Jaguar XJL 5.0 SC

Comment

Working...
              X