No announcement yet.

What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

60 hawk running good and strong .can anyobe give me an approximate mpg figure?

I'll give it a shot...but I think your question is too broad due to the vintage of the engine, technology of the era, mechanical condition of the engine, how well it is tuned, gear ratios, altitude, and skill of the driver. As I recall, my '62 GT Hawk, 289 4speed would average anywhere from 14 to 18mpg, when tuned well. 14mpg when aggressive through the hills, and yet... in a rather conservative mode, well-tuned on a long trip, I could pet it up to 18mpg which took a lot of restraint and self-discipline on my part.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Like Jim said, a lot of variables. Tell us more.
      What transmission do you have?
      What is your rear end ratio?
      Mostly driving in town or on the highway?
      Type of terrain?
      Aggressive or moderate driving habits?
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

There a lot of unsaid conditions that make this quite variable:

3 Speed Manual with Overdrive Transmission? The Winner by FAR!
        3 Speed Flight-O-Matic Automatic Transmission?
        3 Speed Manual Transmission?
        Axle Ratio?

Not to mention driving style!
        I have gotten anywhere between 10 and 18-20 MPG depending on all of these.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Timing, carb adjustment, and condition of ignition components will also greatly affect mileage. Didn't the 60 Hawk win the Mobilgas mileage challenge for that year? I can't remember the specifics, but recall 23mpg?

Comment

I have had a 1961 Hawk for 50 yrs. It has an automatic and WCFB 4bbl with3.07 axle. When I got it it had a WW 2bbl carb. Mileage was good. With the 4bbl I got 18mpg with leaded premium or good reg gas. Nowadays, with crap gas, 14-15mpg. on moonshine free premium gas (which can be hard to find.)

Comment

I have always heard of great mileage on some Studebakers but have never come close. I have owned 7 and hoped to hit the higher mpg but 14-15 has been tops. Considering the comments above, what could my '62 Hawk with 3-speed Flight-o-matic, 2 barrel carb and 3.31 rear end ratio expect? I realize this is a shot in the dark; I currently get about 13.5 to 14 mpg. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by chet445 View Post
                I have always heard of great mileage on some Studebakers but have never come close. I have owned 7 and hoped to hit the higher mpg but 14-15 has been tops. Considering the comments above, what could my '62 Hawk with 3-speed Flight-o-matic, 2 barrel carb and 3.31 rear end ratio expect? I realize this is a shot in the dark; I currently get about 13.5 to 14 mpg. Thanks
                Your experience is similar to mine (above post #2). As just a backyard tinkerer...my only improvement for you would be a 4v carburetor but be light-footed (and careful with the acceleration), dual exhaust, and besides tuning adjustments...tire inflation.

All in all, to me, you are doing OK. The mechanical changes I suggest (Carb and exhausts) are probably not worth the expense in return on investment. My opinion is probably the main rule when enjoying our old cars..."If it ain't broke...don't fix it!"
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

In the early 70's I built my R4 Dual Quad clone in my GT Hawk, tricked up Powershift, loose converter, 3:73 Posi. Two friends delivered it to me in Calgary Alberta from West Vancouver, BC. Approximately 600 miles (981 km) one way. They RAN OUT of fuel 4 times ( not refueled), obviously not adhering to any speed limits, so I would say do not replicate it if you are looking for economy as I am pretty sure this equates to single digit economy.
                  Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X