The cutest thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cutest thing

So Kathy and I decided to take “Hazel”— Kathy’s ‘57 Silver Hawk, to the beach last weekend. Had a great time touring around SW Washington State, away from the big city craziness going on right now. Peaceful and quiet. Might have to move to a small town someday.
    Anyway, coming home through Aberdeen, we saw a local kid’s slow-pitch team having a car-wash fundraiser. So we stopped and gave the kids an American-car history lesson. They loved it! And so did the coaches. It was very cute to watch a group of excited youngsters soaping up Hazel and enjoying the sunny day. Awesome.Click image for larger version

Name:	9C1EA4DF-42E8-4BBF-A829-C43CE42A9ABF.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	1850472
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Great picture. Looks like a lot of fun was had.

Comment

A precious moment...submit this photo to the appropriate Turning Wheels person. I've done something similar but not recent. On my '62 GT, I learned the hard way not to get too hurried washing the front fenders. A lapse of attention and slamming your hands into the top fender park lights, or ornaments on a Hawk can be quite painful!

As to your desire for Peace & Quiet...I had to google Renton. Now I understand. I had it for about 40 years, 'till city escapees discovered our peace & quiet...disappearing rapidly.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Kenny, thank you for taking the time to get this photo and sharing it with us. The idea of getting out of the house and going for a day trip in our Studebaker sounds like a wonderful idea. Jo Anne and I have not been to the Oregon coast for a while. Maybe it is time while the weather is so nice. Maybe we will find a car wash fund raiser as well. B-T-W, your Hawk looks great. I love the green. And Aberdeen is a very nice town. We've been through there many times on our way up to Lake Quinault.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

when driving either of my cars; 64 Avanti R2 or 64 R1 Super Hawk, I'll often stop and make the donation. I don't let them wash as they often use DAWN dish soap and frequently dropped washing rags. Nonetheless, they are happy to see the car and more excited for the non washed donation.
          Mak

Comment

Originally posted by mch View Post
            when driving either of my cars; 64 Avanti R2 or 64 R1 Super Hawk, I'll often stop and make the donation. I don't let them wash as they often use DAWN dish soap and frequently dropped washing rags. Nonetheless, they are happy to see the car and more excited for the non washed donation.
            Mak
            That is excellent. I have used this type of car wash, but never on a good car, for the reasons that you mentioned.
            People do not wear masks there?
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

So cool! My wife and I have been to Aberdeen many times on our way to Westport. Beautiful car! The kids will remember it for many years.
              Studebaker! If you're lucky enough to own one, you're lucky enough!!!

Comment

Working...
              X