Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1945 Studebaker US6 reawakens after 22 year hibernation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1945 Studebaker US6 reawakens after 22 year hibernation.

We live "off the grid" in the British Columbia wilderness and defeat the challenges of snow removal by spending our winters in Arizona. However, due to covid, our Canada/USA border is closed and looks like it will remain so at least for the foreseeable future. General speculation seems to be it will be well into 2021 before reopening. That brings me to my reason to resurrect my US6 for snow removal duty as that was it's job in Montana when I purchased it 20+ years ago. All it took was a fresh battery, a new MSD high voltage coil and fresh fuel and it started on the first attempt (been at least 6 years since it last ran).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	gJR7Stvt.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1850196Click image for larger version

Name:	VF3iDdit.jpg
Views:	324
ID:	1850197Click image for larger version

Name:	TQRu6OAt.jpg
Views:	301
ID:	1850198 Then the old girl climbed our 1/2 mile long mountain driveway as if it wasn't there.
    I have to sort out hydraulics, both brakes and snow plow but I feel pretty confident it will perform the task as intended. After all it is only 75 years old and it is a Studebaker.

Bill, you can't get any better than that. You must have been foreseeing the future with that purchase. What a neat machine. If that won't handle the snow, nothing will.
    Can you load some larger photos? I clicked on these and they remained about the same size. I really want to get a good look at it.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

A lot of those ex-US Army trucks got repurposed in the postwar years, and a few may still be earning their keep!

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....on-truck-crane

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....er-truck/page2

Craig

Comment

Actually, the Photos get SMALLER! These must be some of those lousy "Hosted" Site Pics.
        Much better from your Computer.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

There's a US6 still for sale near Portland Oregon:

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...167847309.html
          Mark L

Comment

Always loved the raised bold lettering on the exhaust manifold STUDEBAKER. They sounded great too !

Comment

If you have enough weight and the right circumstances, you could probably get snow as high as the hood to move - considering 45 mph was top speed, it should be a pushing beast... Send us photos from inside the cab where it will be nice and warm in 6 months!

Comment

Patrick,
                And don't forget those 6:66 gears!

Comment

A couple of years ago, someone posted a link to a story in which a couple of guys flew into the Alaskan bush and got a Studebaker US6 to start after having been abandoned in the wilderness for 40 or 50 years.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Bill,
                    I believe the border being closed is in a northwardly direction. I think if you're heading south for the winter you'd be G2G. Check of course, but my wife has a friend with dual citizenship and going north she has to quarantine for (14) days but she says heading south is no biggie.
                    "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                    R.W. Emerson

Comment

Thanks Dick. I will of course verify our situation as it gets closer timewise. But nonetheless, I am being prepared for the worst, hence the resurrection of the US6 because we get lots of snow here and must have the ability to move it.
                      Bill

Comment

Bill,
                        I'm very much impressed with your "living off the grid" in BC. I'm starting to see leaves start to turn here in Kirkland, so it makes sense to get ready ready for the white stuff given where you're located. And also, seeing as where you're located, I now understand your splitting time between BC & AZ, smart move. I hope everything works out but if you're staying put for 2020 - 2021 I can hardly wait to see the pics of the US6 doing its thing.
                        "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                        R.W. Emerson

Comment

So Bill...I don't suppose you guys order pizza delivery very often?
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sadly John, no pizza delivery. It was one of the conveniences we put to pasture when we committed to living here. We left the hustle and bustle of greater Vancouver and for us we feel the benefits (especially during these covid times) far outweigh any inconveniences. I tell everyone " There are only two things which make noise here, if it isn't me, it's the critters".
                            And our mountain spring water makes the city stuff taste like kaka. It is truly "dog heaven" for our retrievers which don't even wear collars as the only road is over 1/2 mile away. Shopping for supplies is 35 minutes away on a sparsely travelled road where the only traffic is deer or open range cows. The quaint town is mom & pop stores where there aren't any stop lights or big box stores.
                            So Dick, all and all, I think we have a pretty good situation especially during these challenging covid times. All I can catch is Moose-a-virus.
                            Cheers, Bill

Comment

I totally agree with all you've said Bill! Living up here in Seligman I enjoy all the same things except I'm still on the grid with electric. Internet comes off the hot spot on my phone. Hauling my water from town has become a pleasure too, enjoying this life away from it all. Lets see how things go this winter & perhaps if you do come down to Arizona this winter we can meet in january at the meet usually held in the museum off the I-17!
                              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                              64 Zip Van
                              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                              X