No announcement yet.

Barn Find Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been kept dry And the carpet kept the moisture from underneath rising. Amazingly it has been here for over twenty years. At first inspection there seems to be light rust in front fenders and quarters, tin patch screwed in drivers side floor, trunk seems good. Gonna get a closer look.

Comment

Here's some more pictures.

moving on in rats and all

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0963.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	1850094

Some of the chrome looked real good. The back bumper good.

moving deeper
      The trim here on the door is off as well as some front end pieces.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0961.JPG Views:	0 Size:	108.9 KB ID:	1850095
      The kitchen table don't go with the deal.

Moving in deeper. I looking around for no shoulders and rats. They had started "working on it" from the front, removing front end parts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0960.JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.9 KB ID:	1850096

The bumper , air scoop, right grill shell and one of the grill bars i looked at . They are in good shape.

There are other pieces of trim and etc in the rear seat and trunk. Pictures didn't work.

Engine appears to be original and complete.

Good= Starliner, V8, Complete, some chrome and trim driver quality, Only dents seem to be one hood corner.

Bad = Not a C body, Not 3-speed w O/D, yep it's a automatic. Hasn't run in probably 7 or eight years, some rust in normal areas.

Could not tell about all glass. I think windshield and back glass are good. Maybe all side glass except left door. Engine compartment is FULL of rat nests

Result of venture= The owner is going to get it out where we can make a good evaluation.

This will be ongoing next week.

The Saturday Night Special and me are having fun!!

I hope yall have half as much fun looking at this as i did doing it

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
        Oh the drama! This is like the time Geraldo Rivera announced that he would be going into Al Capone's vault, which had been locked since prohibition! Unfortunately, upon opening the vault, all he found inside was an empty glass bottle. So heres hoping that you don't come upon a disappointment like a 1959 Ramber in some lady's she-shed!
        I remember that show/flop. He worked real hard to try and keep us interested. At the time I lived a bit more than a mile from that Cicero, IL location!

Comment

What a terrific photo essay. Great find - thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

Thank you for sharing the photos, I am enjoying them very much. The good thing about not being there in person is not having to deal with the rats nests!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I've always been a sucker for a "barn find" when called upon. This one is great. Will depend on what the pricing looks like in the end. I've had very good luck on my excursions like this one. The slow motion picture show has been a terrific tease. I love the car and hope it turns out to be a good buy for you. And don't worry about the rats. They'll jump ship as soon as you get underway home with it.
              sals54

Comment

We all are a sucker for a story such as this. Keep it coming!
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

A VERY nice Barn Find!

A Commander K-body; perhaps the finest example of the iconic 1953 design, and it rates right up there with that special '64 Marshal demonstrator barn find.

Craig

Comment

I am afraid this may be the end of this venture. The owner was to get it out as I stated in post 17, and call me. He hasn't called me back. I have had a lot going on and did not go back. I may ride up that way tomorrow ??

Comment

Wishing you good luck on your return visit......
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Tex,
                        Great find and Post of the Year candidate!

You are an excellent storyteller/photojournalist.

I hope you finish the story by purchasing it, getting it out of the shed and home.

My two cents...
                        I think you have seen enough to know what it is worth (to you). Make it easy on the seller to get rid of it. Make him a cash offer "as is - where is". You don't want the car damaged in the process of removing it from the shed and the seller might not be as careful as you would be. Plus, the seller will be much more motivated to make a deal if he doesn't have to do any work other than to put that folding money in his pocket. . The seller may have discovered it's a job beyond his capabilities and is now more eager to deal. Round up a few more cousins and it's on a trailer.

Get it home and clean it up and put it back together... Maybe try to get it running. Write a TW feature article complete with photos. See what you have before you decide if you want to keep it (at least for a while) or flip it. At the very least you get your money back and have a fun adventure.

One other thought. You say a downside is that it is not a C body. I like both the C and K a lot, but if you end up selling it, the K body has a wider appeal and brings more money...especially a '53.

Good luck!

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                        X