1939 Commander - CE questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 Commander - CE questions

I have a few questions on what Transmission came with a Commander and a Coupe Express? Are they the same? It looks like my CE has a later motor and Trans but I am not sure what it is? I picked up a Commander that runs but i am having problems with the column shift. It only will go into neutral and 2nd? The top of the shifter by the wheel looks to be broken? Does anybody have a picture of the top of the column and the part that captures the shift rod? I think mine is broken and the shifter is just jammed up.

thanks Paul

The engine serial number stamped in to the side of the block above the distributor will identify what you've got, using this chart. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Nice car! I own a 39 Commander coupe, but sorry I can't help you much. I do suspect that if it has a newer power train transplant the shift linkage would be all wrong. You may be aware that in 1939 the transmission was installed on it's side. That configuration was used for a very short time, so I think anything newer would have used a later style linkage, or require going to a floor shift. If memory serves me the CE, in 1939, continued with the floor shift, correct?

Comment

I have a spare CE tranny but am not looking to sell, though I would consider it to help out if no others were available.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
          Nice car! I own a 39 Commander coupe, but sorry I can't help you much. I do suspect that if it has a newer power train transplant the shift linkage would be all wrong. You may be aware that in 1939 the transmission was installed on it's side. That configuration was used for a very short time, so I think anything newer would have used a later style linkage, or require going to a floor shift. If memory serves me the CE, in 1939, continued with the floor shift, correct?
          The Commander has what appears to have the original drivetrain. The CE has the newer motor.

Comment

The ce tranny is on its side with a floor shift directly sprouting out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              The ce tranny is on its side with a floor shift directly sprouting out of it.
              Did they use the same transmission on both? Do you have a picture of your CE?

Comment

Pic of the tranny then?

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                  Pic of the tranny then?
                  If you have one handy?

thankyou

Comment

I'll get a pic or two and post them if I can.

Comment

Working...
                    X