scam alert!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scam alert!

I want to make forum readers aware of a scam artist who is apparently answering ads on the Studebaker Swap Page. I had a wiring harness listed for sale there for $325. He sent me check for $1450, told me (in broken English) to deduct the price of the item and send the balance to his "shipping agent" in Texas (!). His name is supposedly Justin Perkins, but judging from his poor English and heavy African accent I'm sure that is fake as well. So, beware if you are contacted by this scam artist. I am going to report him to the Federal Trade Commission. Has he tried to scam any other users of the Swap Page?

I am sure most of us have heard of that very common Scam where you send them a Good Check and theirs of course is Bogus.

This is the First I have heard that it is being done to SDC Members though, usually Craigslist Ads.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Keep all the money til the check clears which it won’t.

Comment

Originally posted by jif988 View Post
        His name is supposedly Justin Perkins, but judging from his poor English and heavy African accent...
        Believe it or not, that is intentional. It helps *them* deal efficiently with false positives as they have to deal with thousands of responses a day (or more?). There have been many research studies on why their language and grammar continues to be so poor, and some of their stories so fairytale-like.

Thank you for reporting to FTC. Here's the FTC page on fake checks:
        Fake checks might look like business or personal checks, cashier’s checks, money orders, or a check delivered electronically.

A place like Studebaker Swap Page which publicly lists out email addresses, mailing addresses and phone numbers is a goldmine for scammers. It costs nothing to send out emails or make phone calls over the Internet. By talking to them and making them send a check, you've made them lose money and time. However, they now also a have a real name and address, so please be on the lookout for more scam attempts.

Comment

Working...
        X