info needed on ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info needed on ideas

As I get older and still need to thin out cars I have come to an idea. I have a unfinished 60 hawk rust free and much done but will not get finished by me, it has about $22 K into it with every thing that has been done, R-3 clone engine all work done on it by someone that builds these, also has rebuilt 4 speed, front end, turner brakes, power steering, 1" front and rear sway bar, new ss brake lines, duel master under the car, TT rear end, most chrome either NOS or redone, still some parts to do bumpers, door trim, head light rims. car need paint, and interior comes with GT seats, stock dash and steering wheel are done but gauges are originals and not installed. I want to sell the car as is for $12,500 now for the real question should I sell it the way it is or sell my project 1964 Daytona Hardtop with this engine and trans, Daytona already has good TT 3.31 and radius rods set up. 90% rust free California car with bench seat, seats are redone in original black. nice 66 dash, and very nice trunk lid, hood, and fenders both types 64 or 66 as I planed on making a 66 hardtop the car Studebaker should have built. also extra parts. Same price, so just looking for thoughts from my friends here on the forum, same price if hardtop is used or the hardtop is for sale as it sits for $5,000. At this time I am just asking for thoughts and don't want it moved to cars for sale as more people use this site, I know I have prices in here but that is all about the question, thanks for any help...........Bob
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

That's a tough decision Bob.
    On the one hand, because the '64/'66 Daytona Hardtop is SO Modified I don't think it does justice to a R3 Clone Engine, since that was a real possibility to be purchased in actual ORIGINAL Lark Type '64's, and more than One would have been built if the South Bend Plant would had lasted into 1964.

On the OTHER hand, the Daytona would be a Faster Street and Strip Car than the Hawk, with the "304.5" Supercharged R3.

I guess my opinion is that R3 Clone belongs in something it "Could" have came in, an original looking 1964 "Something".
    Not a '60 Hawk, not a Custom '64/'66 Hardtop.

You did ask for "Opinions", that is Mine.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Might you make more money by selling the engine by itself, and the two cars without engines? What is a rebuilt R3 engine worth these days?
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        That's a tough decision Bob.
        On the one hand, because the '64/'66 Daytona Hardtop is SO Modified I don't think it does justice to a R3 Clone Engine, since that was a real possibility to be purchased in actual ORIGINAL Lark Type '64's, and more than One would have been built if the South Bend Plant would had lasted into 1964.

On the OTHER hand, the Daytona would be a Faster Street and Strip Car than the Hawk, with the "304.5" Supercharged R3.

I guess my opinion is that R3 Clone belongs in something it "Could" have came in, an original looking 1964 "Something".
        Not a '60 Hawk, not a Custom '64/'66 Hardtop.

You did ask for "Opinions", that is Mine.
        Rich thanks for your in put and that is what I need ponder, the car has not been modified at this time just collecting the parts over the years to go that was, I still have every thing to be the 64 car and the parts required to make a 66 hardtop. Dash for either, front fenders for either, the seats are 64 bench in original nos materials, car was and is a drum break car 11” fronts 10” rear all fin style. My thoughts have also figured the 64 Daytona would be more period correct. But every thing is already in the hawk and looks very nice with the car. Thanks again Rich.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
          Might you make more money by selling the engine by itself, and the two cars without engines? What is a rebuilt R3 engine worth these days?
          Brent, nice to hear from you how things going? Ya might make more money that way but at my age now moving some thing the easier is always the best and if someone was really interested in any part of what I have going on here. Both cars are really nice California cars and if I were to just go ahead and part every thing out yes more money would be made. The engine build, rebuilt charger, new AFB under the R 3 cover and the R-3 headers has a cost of $11,000 alone,. Then add the Turner brakes, 1” sway bars, ss brake lines and double master cyl. Rebuilt TT rear end, redone gas tank, rebuilt 4 speed and clutch And flywheel set up, rechromed front side grilles, NOS egg crates, NOS front grille, rechromed tail lights and fin covers, along with a 100% rust free California hawk, rebuilt front end rebuilt power steering, new small style A/C unit. Fitted to this engine, frame work all done sure adds up to a lot of money and work already done. I am just past the age of just trying to make big money off what I already have. Time for some one else to step up and move forward with the projects.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I don't think I've seen Bob's R3 '60 Hawk (correct me if I'm wrong, Bob), but I know well his 64 Lark Hardtop. Bob has had it for many years and has collected a lot of very nice used and NOS parts for it.

I like Bob's original idea best for it which was the 66 hardtop route but with a HiPo 327 and 4 speed. Sort of like what Stude could have (should have?) done in 66 to sell with the factory hot rod Chevelles, Fairlanes, and Darts. With the current condition of that car, and the parts Bob has collected for it, it would be an easy build. I've been sorely tempted in the past to talk him out of it...and still tempted, but I would need to finish my current project and get a few finished ones sold before I could seriously consider it. If anybody is thinking about a late Lark type project, this is the one.
            Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick no you have not seen the 60 hawk but it is one really fine car and a real deal in fact any combination of these would be super project. I will see if we can get you some pictures of the 60.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                ...I've been sorely tempted in the past to talk him out of it...and still tempted, but I would need to finish my current project and get a few finished ones sold before I could seriously consider it. If anybody is thinking about a late Lark type project, this is the one.
                So, Dick...Get busy(er)...you are already in the right region, you know the current owner and the vehicles in play...and from your past builds... I can't think of another person with any better vision for such a project as you!

John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

So, Dick...Get busy(er)...you are already in the right region, you know the current owner and the vehicles in play...and from your past builds... I can't think of another person with any better vision for such a project as you!
                  Thanks, John, but I get in enough car trouble even without your encouragement!
                  Dick Steinkamp
                  Bellingham, WA

Comment

Hi Bob, PM Sent.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I don't think I've seen Bob's R3 '60 Hawk (correct me if I'm wrong, Bob), but I know well his 64 Lark Hardtop. Bob has had it for many years and has collected a lot of very nice used and NOS parts for it.

I like Bob's original idea best for it which was the 66 hardtop route but with a HiPo 327 and 4 speed. Sort of like what Stude could have (should have?) done in 66 to sell with the factory hot rod Chevelles, Fairlanes, and Darts. With the current condition of that car, and the parts Bob has collected for it, it would be an easy build. I've been sorely tempted in the past to talk him out of it...and still tempted, but I would need to finish my current project and get a few finished ones sold before I could seriously consider it. If anybody is thinking about a late Lark type project, this is the one.
                      I would like to apply to be the first one in line to purchase said 66 Hardtop once Dick has had his time to put his spin on it- i can only imagine how well that plan would be executed in his capable hands.
                      Evan Davis
                      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post

I would like to apply to be the first one in line to purchase said 66 Hardtop once Dick has had his time to put his spin on it- i can only imagine how well that plan would be executed in his capable hands.
                        Go for it Evan...I'll be your build consultant.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Go for it Evan...I'll be your build consultant.
                          Oh no- i want you to build it first
                          Evan Davis
                          Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

There has been lots of viewers but hoped for more options and ideas so for that I will move it back up one time, thanks so far for.....Bob
                            Candbstudebakers
                            Castro Valley,
                            California

Comment

On another site, one guy decided to sell all his old cars and get a new Corvette. That was, in hs own words, more of a "bucket list" thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X