East Coast... High ground your Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Coast... High ground your Studebakers

Thinking of all you folks along the eastern Atlantic shores. As we have seen through the years, it is not always the intensity of any hurricane winds that does the most damage. The storm surge, rains, and subsequent flooding can do more harm than the dramatic blow. The latest storm, Isaias is working its path toward Florida and predicted to trek along the eastern shore northward.

North Carolina has two SDC chapters while here in South Carolina, we have seen our chapter dwindle and flounder. The Eastern NC SDC Chapter is often affected by such storms, even those that do not reach hurricane intensity.

So, as this week unfolds, I hope you folks in the affected regions take it seriously and take whatever precautions available to you to keep your family and property safe, high, and dry. I think several of our fellow enthusiasts lost or suffered damage from Hurricane Sandy a few years back. Stay safe guys and know many of us will be thinking and praying for your safety.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

As of now, and we all know things can certainly change, the track of the storm in North Carolina looks like it will pretty much go right over us. The good news is that at this time the rain fall totals will be considerably less that most hurricanes that come close to us as it will be a fast moving storm. My job today is to secure furniture on our porch (that means bringing it inside) and making sure our electronics are charged up, flash lights have good batteries in them, and all of that kind of stuff. The Champ and Cruiser are in the garage so I am not worried about them. Things are supposed to begin getting ugly tomorrow afternoon/evening.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

We did the outdoor stuff this morning and spent part of the day adding extra lines to the boat and removing the isinglass and Bimini tops. I wont get into the new bilge pump I installed 3 months ago UGH ! Ed

Comment

We put extra lines on all our vessels to prepare for the worst but we will probably only see 30-35 knots sustained up here in Cape May.

Thoughts go out to everybody in the path. Be safe
        Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

My garage is 12ft above mean tide. I thought 12ft was enough. But hurricane Sandy pushed the river up about 10ft and the waves were at least 14ft and eventually knocked down a concrete wall in my garage after tearing off 4 huge A/C units that were 10ft above mean tide.
          In Ft Lauderdale, I have the "tide slide" system on 4 dolphins with 8 dock lines. Lucky for Ft L. all was mostly calm.

Comment

Best success Ed & Laura. so, whats up with only 1 bilge pump?

Comment

There are two more bilge pumps , Ed

Comment

As of now were are expected to get winds of 40-70 mph with 3 to 6 inches of rain. Rain will start this afternoon sometime. We are 60 to 100 miles inland. All we can do now is wait and see.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by mch View Post
                  Best success Ed & Laura. so, whats up with only 1 bilge pump?
                  Do I remember correctly that your Avanti took on several feet of water during hurricane Sandy? Fortunately you had an insurance company that had no issues with monetary compensation allowing the car to be returned to 'as new'

Comment

My Avanti or any of my cars never took on any water. I have a friend who has water front property who lost 4 cars to Sandy , Ed

Comment

Storm whipped through like a dragster. I never seen clouds travel so fast. Lots of tree damage here but mostly a huff/n/ puff. Some rain, but most was west of the shore by 50+ miles. We dodged a bullet, but as I said to my Wife “ if that was a cat 5 we’d be SOL”. One thing I intend to do today is put my 2 cents in here in town to lobby for a Strong and Distinct use of the local fire sirens as a long tone to alert impending tornados. Few hit near here, but they did yesterday. This might be a good day too to rethink your own storm preparedness.

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                        My Avanti or any of my cars never took on any water. I have a friend who has water front property who lost 4 cars to Sandy , Ed
                        I am aware of a shop in Union Beach NJ that had cars actually float out of the shop and travel down the main street..........as a result of Sandy:-(

Comment

In case I have been missed on the SDC Forum - I was without electric, tv, telephone, internet and cell service for three days. It is now all back on, except cell service.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            In case I have been missed on the SDC Forum - I was without electric, tv, telephone, internet and cell service for three days. It is now all back on, except cell service.
                            Sorry for that Gary. Did you have enough of a backup generator to keep your fridge operating? Hope all is well.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

Sorry for that Gary. Did you have enough of a backup generator to keep your fridge operating? Hope all is well.
                              No generator. I kept the refrigerator door shut as much as possible and on the second day I got out and found ice to buy at the third try. The ice seemed to work until today when the power came back on. The ice kept the refrigerator cold enough, but did not keep the freezer frozen.
                              I tried to do the limbs in the yard three times and gave up. It took four young (30s-40s) guys some time to clear things.
                              The power was out for this area due to a large tree that took a utility pole with it when the tree came down. This was about two-tenths of a mile down the street from me.
                              The only warm food that I had was when a neighbor brought over a burger and corn on the cob that she cooked on her grill.
                              There are still MANY people without power in this area.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X