wrong location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrong location

i was informed ( i am not saying who because i have the most up ward respect for this man ) that my car is not selling because i am in the wrong location now indiana,wisconsin, michagain, missouri is all around illinois i have purchased a car as far away as california i purchased a car from michigain i purchased a car from ohio. i thought THE STUDEBAKER DRIVERS CLUB was for ALL STUDEBAKER enthusiast and not for just a few privileged states. i can not convey to you how sad this makes me feel. i am sure a lot of people will feel the same way who are not in the right states location. i suggest you all wear your masks and stay safe especially you people who are my age or near it.

Leonard - nothing with your geography should be construed personally. Honestly, your location is excellent - great shipping lanes and good distribution of people (buyers)!

The sale of any old car and the price at which it sells is a function of market interest, vehicle condition and how much visibility (coverage) the advertisement receives.

Nothing new here, just wanted to reaffirm what has always described the unpredictable car market.

Comment

I have purchased cars, including Studebakers, from all over the country and had them shipped to me.
      As I previously suggested, list it on eBay. The potential buyers will figure in the cost of shipping or pick up.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Don't be sad. If someone is afraid of the virus its not your fault....not theirs either. Things will improve sooner or later and you'll get it sold.
        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Whoever said that is silly. A car in demand and priced right will sell anywhere.

Comment

Think about all the Studebakers (and other makes of cars) that have been shipped from here to Europe and Japan in the past 20 years. Obviously the buyers didn't let two huge bodies of water stop them from making a deal!

Craig

Comment

I was pulling for you until you misspelled Michigan. Now that I see you are in Illingnoise, yup wrong state!!!

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                Think about all the Studebakers (and other makes of cars) that have been shipped from here to Europe and Japan in the past 20 years. Obviously the buyers didn't let two huge bodies of water stop them from making a deal!

Craig
                You are absolutely right, Craig. I have shipped my Studebakers from Alabama, California, Idaho and Illinois to Germany.
                You can be sure if a buyer wants to buy a car, distance is not a problem.

Comment

I think there are factors in Leonard's situation that some of you are forgetting. A very large number of "conditions" effect sale-ability of Studes.

Number ONE, we are not talking about a more sought after; Hawk, GT Hawk, Avanti or any C or K Model.

What that means is, the "Buyer Pool" is not the "Barrett Jackson money is no issue" type of Crowd who can well afford to ship a car across the Country or overseas.

A true Stude. person Sedan/Lark Type buyer fits not always, but MOSTLY into the Blue Collar hard working or previously so, now retired Stude. driver and or Car Show Type who is much more concerned about low cost than some.

SDC Members appreciate a dependable Fun Classic that is affordable.

So, what THIS means is: the MAJORITY of this buyer pool who cannot afford $2000.00 or more added to the Car Cost, LIVE in the OTHER 3/4 of the Country WEST and or Southwest of Indiana and Illinois, so there goes your small buyer pool even smaller!

And do not forget as others have mentioned, Leonard IS advertising it HERE on an SDC Website!
                  So bottom Line, there is plenty of Hope that IF the "Rest of the World" see's a good Car at a Fair price it WILL sell.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

So, just what Studebaker is it, being discussed here?

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

OH, sorry I guess most of us Daily Posters thought it was obvious that it was Leonard's "Other" String found by clicking on his name.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....316-64-cruiser
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Leonard, You have to remember that there aren't many Studebaker people out there anymore. Getting less everyday. Studebakers were never popular and less so now. People, mostly older people, like to look at them and reminisce about the old days. But own one? Not too much. Plus yours being a 4dr is less popular again. Now for $4500 that looks to be a very good price for your car. But I have 4 already, therein lies another problem. Most real Studebaker guys are maxed out and just don't want anymore. Cars and parts are much harder to sell than even 15-20 years ago. Studebakers were always easy to buy and harder to sell then other makes. Now with us guys getting older its harder yet. Unless you have something really special, R1, R2 Avanti, Hawk, convertible, etc, it can take a while to sell a Stude. Take heart,You will sell it sooner or later.

Comment

To sweetolbob Well from a "UP'er" to a "troll" I thought that is how you spelled the area in the"mitten" part of the state!! Sorry to the folks who are not Michigan wise.....this joke reply will make you wondering about the state with an upper and lower areas. Sherm (from Gladstone) 63R1089

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                            I think there are factors in Leonard's situation that some of you are forgetting. A very large number of "conditions" effect sale-ability of Studes.

Number ONE, we are not talking about a more sought after; Hawk, GT Hawk, Avanti or any C or K Model.

What that means is, the "Buyer Pool" is not the "Barrett Jackson money is no issue" type of Crowd who can well afford to ship a car across the Country or overseas.

A true Stude. person Sedan/Lark Type buyer fits not always, but MOSTLY into the Blue Collar hard working or previously so, now retired Stude. driver and or Car Show Type who is much more concerned about low cost than some.

SDC Members appreciate a dependable Fun Classic that is affordable.

So, what THIS means is: the MAJORITY of this buyer pool who cannot afford $2000.00 or more added to the Car Cost, LIVE in the OTHER 3/4 of the Country WEST and or Southwest of Indiana and Illinois, so there goes your small buyer pool even smaller!

And do not forget as others have mentioned, Leonard IS advertising it HERE on an SDC Website!
                            So bottom Line, there is plenty of Hope that IF the "Rest of the World" see's a good Car at a Fair price it WILL sell.
                            I quoted this whole thing because it is an excellent summary of the reality.

I came to Studebakers many years ago specifically because they were a little odd, and because of lower popularity you could have the old car experience in something different than everybody else at a much lower price. Not everybody is willing to commit a large sum to a toy they will probably only drive a hundred miles a year. There’s too many other fun things in
                            life that take time and money. For
                            most, Studebaker represents a low-commitment ticket into the hobby.

Of course, the other side of that coin is the eternal problem of selling when we want the market to be what it isn’t. It’s harder for some to accept than for others.

One tip to the seller- generally speaking, this forum is not a great place to sell. As always I recommend eBay- 7 day listing beginning and ending on Sunday evening. Post many CLEAR pictures, skip the history of the earth and limit description to pertinent details of the car, set a reserve you can live with, opening bid of $100, and let it run. In 7 days you will have either sold the car or will at least know what the current real-world market is, and decide where to go from there.

Good luck with your sale. Whatever happens, I hope it doesn’t lead to the car being parked and neglected out of frustration. That happens far too often.
                            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                            Romans 15:13
                            Deuteronomy 31:6
                            Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob - wonderfully said.

A 7-day auction on eBay, with a reserve but WITHOUT a Buy-It-Now price has been how I’ve sold and purchased the last 10 cars I’ve been fortunate to own and drive.

I admire people who want $xxxx for a car, say there’s “No Reserve!” and then have the opening bid $100 less than the reserve! Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                              X