Transtar park/turn lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Those parking lights that appear to hang suspended in the voids of the grille were a stroke of styling genius anyway. Leaving them on all the time makes them even better.
    For the guys that hang-em, the turn signal that is, in the grill. Do you have to fabricate your own hanger brackets or how did you do it?
    Will you reveal your secret?
    Pics of the hanger brackets sure would be nice.

[img=left]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/158/360197307_8639ee4a46_m.jpg[/img=left]
    ~Nitram~
    57 Transtar

Comment

I am reasonably sure that these lights are on stock brackets for one of the larger trucks. I'll ask Joe when he comes in from work and reply.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
      "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Sure no prob. most of us just use the stock 1959-64 "C" Cab Parking Light Bracket that just bolts to the Radiator core support ("U" saddle) or you could make one but you need a Parking Light housing, it is the same as the spring loaded P1 Box tail lights with the lens that fits outside of the housing, only it is a clear one, available at Chuck Collins Stude. online Store.

quote:Originally posted by Nitram

For the guys that hang-em, the turn signal that is, in the grill. Do you have to fabricate your own hanger brackets or how did you do it? Will you reveal your secret?
        Pics of the hanger brackets sure would be nice.

StudeRich at Studebakers Northwest -Ferndale,WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Easiest way (if you cannot find a specific terminal on the headlight switch) to wire parking lights so they are on with the headlamps is to connect them up with the tailights. I also believe 1968 was the first year that parking lights always stayed on with the headlamps - same year that sidemarker lights were standard equipment as well.
          I have to admit I like the '59/64 parking lamps in the grill better than the fender top lamps that were standard in 57/58 - it's a much cleaner look.[^]

<h5>Mark
          '57 Transtar Deluxe
          Vancouver Island

Are you planning to attend the NW Overdrive Tour in Parksville, BC
          May 23 & 24, 2009?
          </h5>
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander
          Zone Coordinator
          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I guess this question got answered, but according to Joe's parts book the lamps and brackets he used where for the E35 and E40 trucks with the fiberglass grill. The book even lists an amber lens as available.

Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Per an earlier post, amber lenses were used on the 8E series - photos below:

8E series:

4E to 7E series:

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar Deluxe
              Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander
              Zone Coordinator
              Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Since we are covering this subject in exhaustive detail, it's worth pointing out that the early 4E trucks had a parking light mounting bracket that bolted to the grille, not the radiator mount. This was changed to the later design in mid-year. I suspect that vibration probably caused the fiberglass to crack.

Also, the both the parking light bodies and the lenses used on the 4E models are different from those used on later years.

Skip Lackie
                Washington DC
                Skip Lackie

Comment

This post grew into more than I ever expected. I just wanted to share a picture I thought was neat. Since I don't own one of these trucks, I didn't even think about the lights being unusual.

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Also, the both the parking light bodies and the lenses used on the 4E models are different from those used on later years.

Skip Lackie
                    Washington DC
                    Not a "doubting Thomas" but I had not heard of this change before between the 4E and 5E series... but there it was right in the Parts Manual! [:I]
                    Anyone have pics of the two housings for comparative purposes? [?]
                    I'm curious now whether my Transtar has the 4E or 5E-7E housings and lenses. [8)]

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar Deluxe
                    Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I believe the 5E and later trucks have a lamp that is shaped like a shallow cylinder, with the same diameter front-to-rear and a relatively flat back. They're made by Auto Lamp. I think they're painted black. The 4E parking lights are smaller in diameter and are more bullet-shaped -- that is, they taper a bit toward the back like a lot of the truck tail lamps. The lenses are marked "ALF" and the bodies are painted white. I don't have access to the family camera at the moment, but can take measurements.

Skip Lackie
                      Washington DC
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Mark; my late '62 7E-13 has not been fooled with since new and it's Parking Light Housings are tapered thin pot metal painted off-white just like yours and are a match for the Tail Lights on the '56-62 1/2 and 3/4 Ton Pickups with the P1 bed.

The only ones I have seen that differ, are those like the 8E pic shown that are larger, not tapered and use a larger amber lens.

But then again, who has EVER seen a 1960 5E "C" Cab truck? Very very few and far between! That would probably mean that Chuck's newly reproduced lenses would not fit those!
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Interesting, I'm not home at the moment, but do know that the tailight housings and parking light housings on my truck are identical except for the lens colour.
                          I am also familiar with the larger 8E parking lamp housing, so I guess it is the 4E "early" grill mount housings that I have not encountered before.

Checking out some factory pictures of 4E trucks, they sure don't look that much different than the later (5E) housings.

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar Deluxe
                          Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                          </h5>
                          Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander
                          Zone Coordinator
                          Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

A few years back, there was a '63 8E series (A2 body) in a local wrecking yard. It had been fitted with a refrigerated body from new and was largely un-modified in just about any fashion save for some switches added to the cowl. While I took alot of things off of this truck, I didn't scavenge the grille or parking lites. I wish I had. I DO recall that they were the "bullet" style that Skip mentions.
                            I also recall that this was one of the very few late trucks I'd seen with the full-flow oil filter mount bypassed and using a fender-mounted partial flow filter (A Fleet option, I think) instead. Not that that has anything to do with parking lite variants. I guess I'll garner 20 demerits for going off topic with that last observation![}]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1963 Cruiser
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President two door

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Plus another 20 demerits for leaving those parking lights behind.

Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

And 20 more demerits for admitting it to our live studeo audience. [}]

<h5>Mark
                                '57 Transtar Deluxe
                                Vancouver Island

May 23 & 24, 2009?
                                </h5>
                                Mark Hayden
                                '66 Commander
                                Zone Coordinator
                                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Working...
                                X