X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No stupid questions ?

Hey guys,

There's no such thing as a stupid question? Try this one....I'm looking for a ballpark figure on the cost of getting vent window frames chromed. I know absolutely nothing about this end of the neighborhood. I'm hopeing some of you folks that have been down this road can school me a little. Does all the present chrome need to be removed before sending it out? Will it be less expensive if I remove it myself? Does it usually take forever to get the stuff back, as I've herd mentioned? Are there many rip-off artists doing this type of work? How do I locate a reasonibly priced, honest shop, who won't take forever? I don't need show quality but I don't want it peeling off either. As always, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jimmy '37 CE Project

Jimmy
    I suggest you contact Jerry Forrester, forr62@bellsouth.net Nice work, reasonable prices, and the parts will be done while your still able to put them back on.

Pat Skelly
    62 GT Hawk
    53 Studillac
    37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Jimmy
      I suggest you contact Jerry Forrester, forr62@bellsouth.net Nice work, reasonable prices, and the parts will be done while your still able to put them back on.

Pat Skelly
      62 GT Hawk
      53 Studillac
      37 Dictator Coupe

Comment

Fourteen years ago I had a set for my 51 Coupe plated at Paul's. I removed all hardware and got show quality for $152. That included the latch handles, before I knew they were still available NOS. I sent a set from my 53 to LiBrandi's last week sans latch handles. Haven't got a price yet but will post as soon as I hear.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        33 Rockne 10
        51 Commander Starlight
        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Fourteen years ago I had a set for my 51 Coupe plated at Paul's. I removed all hardware and got show quality for $152. That included the latch handles, before I knew they were still available NOS. I sent a set from my 53 to LiBrandi's last week sans latch handles. Haven't got a price yet but will post as soon as I hear.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          33 Rockne 10
          51 Commander Starlight
          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I recently got a pair done for $50 bucks. Where? I don't know. An acquaintance of mine had an "in" at a place that did lots of chrome for the low-rider fellas in the LA area.
            Remember that these frames are steel and steel's alot easier to plate than pot metal - that's why bumpers can still be replated fairly inexpensively.
            The shop I speak of would "chrome" anything you threw at them, I decided to chance some NOS pot metal that had never been plated before. They TOTALLY destroyed the stuff.[V] It was shiny - that's ALL you could say about it. $45 bucks for each of the parts before they were plated. Another $25 for the plating and destruction and reaffirmation that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Heed this and learn from my mistake. Of course - having been in the old car hobby since 1973 I full well knew the dangers of chrome "deals". SOME TIMES you get lucky - more often not. I took a gamble (fortuneatly with stuff that wasn't super-rare - yet) and lost, but I did so only after they'd proved they could do decent work on steel parts.[B)]
            From what I know of decent shops, I'd think you'd have to pay in the $100 to $150 range to get these frames plated.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I recently got a pair done for $50 bucks. Where? I don't know. An acquaintance of mine had an "in" at a place that did lots of chrome for the low-rider fellas in the LA area.
              Remember that these frames are steel and steel's alot easier to plate than pot metal - that's why bumpers can still be replated fairly inexpensively.
              The shop I speak of would "chrome" anything you threw at them, I decided to chance some NOS pot metal that had never been plated before. They TOTALLY destroyed the stuff.[V] It was shiny - that's ALL you could say about it. $45 bucks for each of the parts before they were plated. Another $25 for the plating and destruction and reaffirmation that if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Heed this and learn from my mistake. Of course - having been in the old car hobby since 1973 I full well knew the dangers of chrome "deals". SOME TIMES you get lucky - more often not. I took a gamble (fortuneatly with stuff that wasn't super-rare - yet) and lost, but I did so only after they'd proved they could do decent work on steel parts.[B)]
              From what I know of decent shops, I'd think you'd have to pay in the $100 to $150 range to get these frames plated.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X