Discolored whitewall.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discolored whitewall.

About a year ago I bought a set of whitewalls from a company called "American Tire," and now one's turned brown and I've read that Simple Green and a Scruffy or SOS pad will clean them, but it doesn't last. Suggestions?
    peter lee

Spray nine
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I scrub mine with an SOS/Brillo pad. You don't notice how yellow they get and how quickly it happens.

Comment

Scotch Brite or Mr clean Magic Eraser work great for me use both on Diamond backs and regular generic wsw tires. Comet cleanser on generic but not on Diamondbacks

Comment

409 works well.

Comment

Westley's Bleche-Wite used to be my go to, and I have a supply of the original for my '55. You have to be careful as it may harm some modern rims, but it never caused an issue for me on the Studebakers and Mopars I had with whitewalls. It is a harsh cleaner, and actually etches a bit of the white rubber off the surface. But it always gave me better and more even results than anything else. Test that it will not harm your rims or surrounding trim before using.

Westley's looks to have been purchased by Black Magic, and some loyal users are complaining the Black Magic stuff isn't as good. I can't speak to that, but as with so many other of our favorite things today, may have to some day.

I've always used a sponge to avoid getting tire shine products on the whitewall. Tire dressings turn whitewalls brown.

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post
              Westley's Bleche-Wite used to be my go to, and I have a supply of the original for my '55. You have to be careful as it may harm some modern rims, but it never caused an issue for me on the Studebakers and Mopars I had with whitewalls. It is a harsh cleaner, and actually etches a bit of the white rubber off the surface. But it always gave me better and more even results than anything else. Test that it will not harm your rims or surrounding trim before using.

Westley's looks to have been purchased by Black Magic, and some loyal users are complaining the Black Magic stuff isn't as good. I can't speak to that, but as with so many other of our favorite things today, may have to some day.

I've always used a sponge to avoid getting tire shine products on the whitewall. Tire dressings turn whitewalls brown.
              My input is similar to the above. The old Bleche Wite worked well. Do not use too much. Control where you apply it and how long you leave it on. Do not use it often (once per year is ok). Do not use a dressing on the whitewall.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 556063 View Post

I have used the new black magic bleche-wite and it worked great. I still would be careful with getting it on anything else but the tires though. On another thread somebody said that Simple green and some elbow grease works just as well for him. Simple green shouldnt harm anything around the tires and it smells nice
                Charles

1961 Lark Regal VIII 259/auto -- Lucy

Comment

It's the quality or should I saw the lower quality in the tire making process. The brown leaches from the tire itself. There is nothing that works. I have taken to sanding out the spots but they still come back. I have bought whitewalls for years and never a problem. I have three sets of brand new tires I have taken off the cars with less than 200 miles on them. I had been buying Hankook whitewalls. They had been as they should be , however the last set started getting brown spots on my Riviera. If you can find Michelins or Vogue their whitewalls are still good. I understand it is the releasing agent used in tire production that causes this. Diamondback Tires are beautiful whitewalls but expensive and I have a new set of Cokers that are good but also $$$. The Diamondback Auburn tires are my favorites.
                  1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Diamondback tires are unique in their whitewall manufacturing process in that they vulcanize the whitewall onto the tire overtop of a barrier layer that keeps the black rubber beneath from leaching through and discoloring the whitewall. Plus, they can make wide whites on modern, high quality name brand tires like Michelin, etc rather than casting their own. This is not to disparage other makes like Coker, etc... I have Cokers on 2 of our cars and they are very nice. But I don’t think anyone else does it the way Diamondback does... maybe they patented it? Donno. Anyway my wife’s Hawk in this picture has Diamondbacks on it that are now about 6 years old, with no discoloring yet...
                    Oooops! Now I lost the ability to post the picture. Will try to figure it out.
                    Last edited by drrotor; 06-30-2020, 09:45 PM.
                    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                    1951 Champion Business Coupe
                    1951 Commander Starlight
                    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                    1953 Champion Starlight
                    1953 Commander Starliner
                    1953 2R5
                    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                    1957 Silver Hawk
                    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                    1959 Silver Hawk
                    1961 Hawk
                    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                    1963 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                    1965 Cruiser
                    1970 Avanti

Comment

Ok here it is with my ‘lil Grandson Henry
                      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                      1951 Champion Business Coupe
                      1951 Commander Starlight
                      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                      1953 Champion Starlight
                      1953 Commander Starliner
                      1953 2R5
                      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                      1957 Silver Hawk
                      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                      1959 Silver Hawk
                      1961 Hawk
                      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                      1965 Cruiser
                      1970 Avanti

Comment

Thanks for your input. I had a problem with the tires I got from this company. They sent me three that looked good but the fourth had lots of scrape marks on the whitewall. I sent it back and they sent a new (or another) one. These are Cooper tires and not some off-brand, but I suspect they might have been sitting in a warehouse for a long time before they were finally sold. My previous tires were a Pep Boys brand and they were fine, but there were cracks after about eleven years and had to be replaced. Also, they were about $70 compared with Coker, Diamond back, etc, which were over $200 each.
                        peter lee

Comment

The brown on the Cooper (American Classic) tires may have been from tires being stacked up with the whitewall being stacked on the backside of the tire next to it. That will permanently discolor the white wall. The Cooper American Classics (Summit Racing) on my Sky Hawk are bright white, with no discoloration.

Comment

I have 8 cars with white walls right now. I was really po'd over the last set of Hankooks 724s. I had ran several sets on the Lincolns. The last set had brown spots from the moment I washed the blue protective coating off. I called their customer service at the USA offices. They explained that with new production whitewalls it was a newer process and it was some type of releasing agent used in the rubber these days to speed up production. It was something I would have to deal with. They informed me to sand the whitewalls. WTH? Never in 50 years of driving had I sanded whitewalls. They would not replace them either. The standard lack of customer service from foreign owned companies is the norm these days. So I have had to jump to Diamondbacks and Coker. I just ordered a red stripe and whitewall tire for the Tbird convert. from Diamondback called Auburn's They are awesome but about $300 each. The wide whitewall Auburns on the 42 Packard are Diamondback Auburns with age on them and they are still brilliant white today. They are my absolute favorite tire. The Cokers are nice just not quite as bright white and they do not have the vintage bias look like the DB's radials. With DB you have the option to chose the exact width of whitewall you want. Customer service was that of a quality USA company, as it used to be. I refuse to send money overseas. NO WALMART, NO AMAZON here.
                            1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

I sent you a PM, 2 sets of Firestone Tiger Paw and 1 set of Cooper, in total 30 tires (spares too) all crap. For 2 cars

Comment

Working...
                              X