Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Avanti R2-4212, sold, and sold again. Still on e-bay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R2-4212, sold, and sold again. Still on e-bay?

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....y-will-be-sold

I received my July Turning Wheels today and it reminded me to look up the subject of this thread, started 10 years and 3 days from today. I hope that Dick Clemens, who posted the last comment in the thread is still alive. I am 10 years, six months, and 3 days older as well. I sold the Avanti in 2014 for $12,000 to I guy I shouldn't have, as he only knew about 1% of what he claimed to know about cars, and after he had it for 3 year parked in front of his house, I had to buy him enough gas so I could get it started. In the meantime, he broke the steering wheel, back of the driver's seat, the ignition switch and bezel, and let it sit out in the weather while the cotton car cover sat in the trunk, with the remnants of the steering wheel. He eventually sold it in 2017 for $8,000 to someone with motivation, who drove it to Missoula and sold it to an auction for $12,000. From there it went to Arvada, C0, and is still listed in Bob Johnstone's Avanti pages as "for sale" on e-bay, price unspecified, with some nice photos. Don't know where it is now. I have attached photo of the car is it is now, you can check it out on Bob Johnstone's registry, with e-bay link. I also attached a photo of the interior my R-1 5213, which runs much better with 11,000 more mileage on the odometer. I had it repainted, the first re-paint, in the original Avanti Red. Thanks to Jon Meyer, John Metzker, and Jack Vines for help and advice along the way. Third photo is of boxes of spark plugs fouled by the R-2 at 5320 feet altitude, with many changes of jets, timing, etc. All 8 of my current flock of Studebakers are licensed and driven, in my garages. My latest edition, a 1957 President Classic I restored from 2014 to 2018 is also attached.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

Maybe it is your destiny to buy the car again and pump enough $ in it this time to do a total restoration! Somebody's gotta do it. LOL

Comment

I am curious , would you happen to know if the wheels pictured on the Avanti are 15 x6 or 15x7, and are the American Racing wheels.
      Thank you,
      Bob Caser
      mrbobinc

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
        Maybe it is your destiny to buy the car again and pump enough $ in it this time to do a total restoration! Somebody's gotta do it. LOL
        Not in this lifetime! I figured my annual maintenance cost to drive this R-2 was about $500. I recovered my purchase price when I sold it. The most recent information I have on the car is https://studebaker-info.org/AVDB1/R4...x07052017.html, which contains some nice photos of the now-black Avanti R-2, R-4212. I still have a nice R-1 with air and glass packs, which I put on when I concluded it was too difficult to remove the radio for servicing. Could not hear the radio with glass packs anyway. Here is a photo of that car, which is a lot easier to keep running, and rides a lot cooler with air in the summer. First photo is of my R-1 just out of the shop in 2018. Second and third photos are of interior when I owned it, and 3 years with the next owner.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jnfweber; 06-29-2020, 01:18 PM. Reason: Included a photos of interior of 4212 when I sold it, plus photo of broken steering wheel in trunk 3 years later.
        sigpic
        Jack, in Montana

Comment

Regarding Dick Clemens. He was up here a couple of weeks ago with a friend who bought a Studebaker from my brother. He doesn't move very far or very fast, but he is still with us.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            Regarding Dick Clemens. He was up here a couple of weeks ago with a friend who bought a Studebaker from my brother. He doesn't move very far or very fast, but he is still with us.
            Thanks so much. So glad to hear that. He was a very active member of OE Chapter, and helped a lot with towing our cars when we needed a "lift". A good person, best of the good!
            sigpic
            Jack, in Montana

Comment

Working...
            X