Building a Coupe Express from a sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
    18 or so years ago I did a 'phantom' of what a stretched '37 J5 might look like...Jeff

Click image for larger version Name:	37 Coupe Express Extd Cab.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.1 KB ID:	1841961
    Looks good in many respects. Personally I like the fender-mounted spares, but some don't; they say they look too scrunched up on the Commander front end. Stretching out the doors, to my eye makes the fender-mounted spares look right. Adding the President front clip, even more so.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I love the look of the fender spare but there are functional reasons it did not work for me.
      1. looks like it grabs the air a lot.'
      2. It blocks the vision of the driver on a 39.
      3. The pocket in the fender is not nearly wide enough for my tires.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Tom there are at least two assembled 1937 President coupes, made from Dictators, both with side mounts. Side mounts on these cars have always been a source of personal conflict for me. Because of the President's longer front fenders, the SM's don't ride as high as they do on a Dictator. They never quite melded into the styling of the late 30's "fat fendered" look, as well as they did in the early 30's "Classics." While I still love the stately look, they just seem to distract from the car's beautiful flowing lines. For me the original design has it's own rewards.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
          Tom there are at least two assembled 1937 President coupes, made from Dictators, both with side mounts. Side mounts on these cars have always been a source of personal conflict for me. Because of the President's longer front fenders, the SM's don't ride as high as they do on a Dictator. They never quite melded into the styling of the late 30's "fat fendered" look, as well as they did in the early 30's "Classics." While I still love the stately look, they just seem to distract from the car's beautiful flowing lines. For me the original design has it's own rewards.

Bill
          Hi Bill, could you elaborate on your last sentence? Do you call the original design with or without the side mount?

Comment

I’m with you, Bill. The ‘37 President coupe I owned did not have side mounts. I have always felt that the side mounts distracted the eye from the flowing lines of the long President hood and fenders.

Of course, I’m also partial to blackwall tires on pre-war cars because I think wide whitewalls also distract from the lines and the vast majority of cars left the factory with blackwalls.

I do have to confess that my ‘35 Commander sedan has wide whitewalls. I just haven’t changed them out yet. The previous owner was all proud of putting new tires on the car to sell it. I told him his choice of wide whites was “unfortunate”

In any case, this whole thread was about making a President Coupe-Express, and the only reason I would do that would be aesthetic. The longer fenders and hood would make the vehicle much better proportioned. Stretching the cab while retaining the Dictator hood and fenders is not something I would ever consider.

Just stirring the pot a little, but anyone who knows me knows that my views on these subjects haven’t changed over the years.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
              I love the look of the fender spare but there are functional reasons it did not work for me.
              3. The pocket in the fender is not nearly wide enough for my tires.
              Neither does the spare tire well in my Avanti handle the 9' wide rims I have on it. That's where the space saving spare tire goes, that's why they call it a spare tire.

I really like the side mounts on Jeff's 37 and to my eye the extended doors/cab are just the way I would do one for myself.

I'd still use a four door to get the door skins to make the longer doors and use the back of the roof for the cab. Just easier for me to do the doors than form the complex curves for the rear of the roof.

Comment

Yeah. I just threw a spare in the bed for now. I'd like a cover and bolt it down eventually though. Many of you already know this I am sure but the 37 fender is longer behind the front wheel making it possible to push the spare down about 3 or 4 inches.

Comment

Working...
                X