A very complimentary article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very complimentary article

Well, this is an article from "TheThings". It is normally a tabloid-esque site like so many others, talking about celebrities and reality TV like we care about it, but it occasionally does good. It is titled "15 Classiest Car Interiors from the 1960s." I am pleased to report that both the Avanti and the GT Hawk made it at 9th and 6th place respectively. Here's the link:
    Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Thanks. A nice article, especially with two Studebakers out of 15 cars.
    It is called "interiors", but the pictures are primarily dashboards.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Cory Barclay has some nice things to say about our favorite marque in his article. Thanks for sharing it, Jake!
      Mike Davis
      Regional Manager, North Carolina
      1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Wow! The Studebakers were in some pretty heady company. Impressive. And they deserved to be on that list.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Too bad the 62 interiors were so poorly made.

Comment

At least the Studebakers are in some pretty exclusive and Pricey Company!

But it is heavily European weighted, really a "Bentley S2 Flying Spur"? I wonder if there are more than 2 of those things over here.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by abkco View Post
              Too bad the 62 interiors were so poorly made.
              That is only true for the optional all-vinyl interior trim due to the insufficient heat stamping treatment that Studebaker used in '62. The standard cloth-and-vinyl interiors held up just fine and that is what's in my '62 GT Hawk.
              Last edited by Stude Shoo-wop!; 06-16-2020, 10:19 PM.
              Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

I was referring to all vinyl, as the picture shows

Comment

I always liked mine. Thanks for the article, Jake.

Comment

That is exactly the difference that Jake is talking about, Vinyl to Cloth.
                    But the above is a '64, with the MUCH improved '63/'64 Straight Machine Pleated Vinyl Interior.
                    The '62 "Biscuit Pleated" Vinyl was too stiff, and cracked in very short time.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich,

You mean that the duct tape on one of my 62 Daytona convertibles is not stock?

Bill

Comment

Thanks for posting Jake. I always knew we had a winner or two.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          Rich,

You mean that the duct tape on one of my 62 Daytona convertibles is not stock?

Bill
                          The duct tape was the recommended repair in a Studebaker Service Letter, so is stock from that standpoint.

The vinyl itself in 1962 is far inferior to the U.S. Royal Naugahyde vinyl adopted in 1963. I bought a '62 Hawk in 1966 and the front seats had already been reupholstered. In contrast the vinyl in my 64 Avanti feels as soft and pliable as new.
                          --Dwight

Comment

Wow is right. That's a very impressive group.
                            Mark L

Comment

Working...
                            X