Radiator Interchange 37 Dictator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator Interchange 37 Dictator

Hi does anyone have a used radiator for a 37 Dicktator ? Or are there any brand x radiators that will interchange ? my friend is on a budget it's only a driver and wants to get the car on the road any help would be greatly appreciated thanks .
    Joseph Kastellec

I honestly don't know if the terms budget radiator and a pre-war car can even be uttered in the same sentence, and be done with a straight face. The shape and size of a radiator in a 37 is both large and unique. Repair is not impossible on an original 37 radiator, but what is problematic is finding someone willing and able to do the work. I was fortunate to have a friend who was willing to undertake tha salvation of my original 1937 President coupe radiator, but I doubt that he would do another. The most viable solution is a recore of the original radiator, which is not going to be cheap. Good luck if you think that one of the newer aluminum radiators is going to fit, or otherwise work. There are plenty of 37 Dictators and Coup Expresses that have been street rodded, but to be honest I never was interested enough to ask what they used.

Bill

Comment

Go on ebay and search for radiators for other 30s car with similar grill shapes. Add to the search, a modern engine with similar inlet/outlet configurations. I'm using a radiator from a 34 Ford, but mine has a 454 Chevy engine. So I searched for a Big Block Chevy engine in a 34 Ford. It fit well with some mods needed for mounting. Then I had to get creative on hoses. Also, you may then need to switch to electric fan. I did. The radiator was less than $200 delivered. Good luck.
      sals54

Comment

Just FYI: the Hollanders Interchange Manual does not list a radiator from any other contemporary make or model that will interchange with the ones in 37 Studebakers.
        Last edited by Skip Lackie; 06-17-2020, 01:36 PM.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

I used a 1932 Ford in my 37. Same core size.I used the four side brackets that are used to mount the ford grille shell to the Ford radiator.I made small brackets that went from these brackets to the 37 shell .

Comment

Thanks will pas this information on maybe he might go to plan " B"
            Joseph Kastellec

Comment

Working...
            X