Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similarities between a 62 GT hawk and a 56 Golden hawk

Hi gang,
    As some of you have read in my first post, im getting a 56 golden hawk to put back together and eventually restore. Im actually getting it tomorrow...pretty exicted, as you can imagine. I'm new to Studes but not to car restoration, mostly been in the British world. Currently finishing up an Austin Healey

​​​​​​There's a 62 gt hawk hawk for sale on the buy/sell area, close by me and reasonably priced. Im wondering how many of the body parts are the same and specifically if the trunk lid is the same (mine is pretty shot).

So, if any of you would care to rattle on about what's the same or what's different, I'd sure appreciate it.

The trunk hood are unique to the 1956 Studebaker Hawk series for one year only. Also the tail light housings are unique to the 1956 Golden Hawk as they have a right side small notice and left side small notch to fit the body with the fin that the Golden Hawk had. Even though the cars have similarities, Studebaker made running changes on the Hawk models from 1956 to 1964 so that even 62 parts are different in some areas between 62 and 64.

The dash, doors, seats, body parts are all different on the 1962, as well as quarter windows, steering wheel. I suppose you could use the quarter panel and front fenders with modification. If it is the car listed in another post, be prepared to spent many many hours taking that car apart because of the rust. If you have the patience and time to completely take that car apart then get it and do it. That car's description is honest and it is a parts car. After it is parted out, you still have to deal with the hulk that is left over for disposal.

I bought a 1955 Commander Hardtop from Oregon. Trying to open the drivers door it was so rusted that it started to separate after several attempts to open it. It was a shame because the car was so original down to the upholstery and was driven until 1983 then left outside. I am staying with Arizona cars if at all possible from now on.

Bob Miles

Comment

Dang. Well, sounds like there's hardly anything that will swap over...and the trunk was really what i most needed. Thanks for the helpful information, Bob.
      ~martin

Comment

My '61 Hawk has a '56 trunk, the twist knob to open it is different than the '61 as well as the location, but it fit just fine.- Jim

Comment

My'62 Hawk has the '56 trunk lid and fits just fine. I had problem getting the trunk latch but all worked out well.

Comment

All sheet metal will, "fit" but only the front and rear fenders will be, "correct", but only so if the stainless strip holes are filled in and relocated. The trunk latch location, and rib lines are different, and the hood scoop is different. You can more easily adapt a 56 trunk to 62-63, because the overlay will cover the differences between the trunks. But you still need to use a later latch relocate it to line up with the trunk overlay. I'd have no problems just using a 56 latch on a later trunk. About 99.9 percent of gawkers would never know the difference. Just avoid SDC gatherings, lest you be hounded to death by all the self appointed, "experts" who just wanna be sure you know how, "incorrect" or, "wrong" your Studebaker is. Most of them arrive in brand x cars though. LOL

Comment

Hi Joe,
              not sure if im following what you're saying. So, would a 62 hawk trunk lid fit on a 56 golden hawk...with some adjusting work? with

And i am happy to put up with being razzed about non-correctness!
              You should see the way I dress!
              ~martin

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                All sheet metal will, "fit" but only the front and rear fenders will be, "correct", but only so if the stainless strip holes are filled in and relocated.
                There is a minor difference, between the '62 - '64 rear fenders, and all earlier versions. At the upper rear corners, where they mate with the tail light housings.

The '56 Golden Hawk shown here, is the style of K body, that Studebaker only made, from 1953 - 1958. Notice, the '56 Golden Hawk fins, that were never used on any other model. The fins can't be installed, over the '62 - '64 rear quarter panels, unless the quarter panels are modified?

​​​​​
                All '53 - '61 Studebaker C & K bodies use, essentially the same rear quarter panels. With the only differences, being in the location of, the trim specific mounting holes. The '53 Champion, Starlight coupe, shown below, is the C body style, that wasn't produced, by Studebaker, after 1961. Note that the C body, rear quarter windows pop out, rather than roll down, like those of the K bodies.

The difference between the '62 - '64 style rear quarters, and, the ones used from '53 - '61. Can be seen by comparing the photo above, of a '53 Champion, and the photo below of a '64 GT. It's very small, in these pictures, but it can be seen?

Mark
                Last edited by S2Deluxe; 06-17-2020, 09:05 AM.
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ice Blue Sky Hawk4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	39.6 KB ID:	1841331
                  Here is a '56 Decklid.
                  So the real answer is YES, a '62 Trunk lid WILL Fit, it just will look slightly different because the "Ribbing/Groove" goes ALL the way across, and the key Lock and Latch location will not match the '56 Latch, but CAN be modified to work by filling the Trim Panel holes and installing a '57 to '64 Latch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	TT Emblem.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.4 KB ID:	1841332This '57 Golden Hawk has the SAME Decklid as a '62 GT Hawk Decklid with the same Lock and grooving but without the Trim overlay Panel.

Last edited by StudeRich; 06-15-2020, 05:28 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Fenders, doors, hood and trunk will all fit, i.e. bolt right on. However, none of them will be correct. The front and rear fenders can be easily, "doctored" to be correct, but not possible with hood, trunk or doors. Again, they will fit as if they were made for the 56, but will not be technically correct.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77969.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1841404
                      Forgive the newbie questions, guys. This the trunk on the 62 hawk in the for sale section (and the one Im thinking about getting). Why is the silver part different than ones in the pictures you included, Studerich? The embossed pattern appears to go both vertical and horizontal, not just horizontal like the other trunk photos above. Or is this a piece that goes on top of the trunk and there is the horizontal grooves underneath?

Comment

Originally posted by Tired iron View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_77969.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1841404
                        Forgive the newbie questions, guys. This the trunk on the 62 hawk in the for sale section (and the one Im thinking about getting). Why is the silver part different than ones in the pictures you included, Studerich? The embossed pattern appears to go both vertical and horizontal, not just horizontal like the other trunk photos above. Or is this a piece that goes on top of the trunk and there is the horizontal grooves underneath?
                        It's just a piece of embossed aluminum overplayed on top of the "ribbed" section. A cost savings for Studebaker and us that are looking for trunk lids as we can span many years looking for spare. Mine was missing the overlay, but have since acquired a somewhat "seasoned" one on eBay.

Comment

Hi Tired iron

To learn about the 1956 Golden Hawk:
                          1. Go to our web site at: www.1956GoldenHawk.com/
                          2. Click on Options
                          3. Click on Restorers Guide (Video) - in the first column
                          4. Click to play the video.
                          We've been tracking the remaining 1956 Golden Hawks, since 1989. Chances are good that your car was registered with us at some point. You can register by clicking on Register Your 56J, at the top of any page. In return, I will send you a roster of owners, a parts interchange list (not body parts), and a copy of the production order showing how the car was equipped when it left the factory.

Frank A.

Comment

Hi Frank, thanks for the info...I'll get on it! Ive watched the video--an excellent resource and thank you for all your hard work with that--but havent registered the car yet.

Comment

The 62 has the overlay that was the 57-61 Trunk Lid. There are small holes drilled around the lip of the trunk lid for small attachment pieces that are screwed in and the overlay had small fragile hooks to mount the overlay to the trunk lid. Care must be taken as they are nearly 60 years old and can break off. The 63 model had a slightly different design. The squares are larger and the Studebaker Hawk at the bottom is much larger and seen easy in comparison to the 62. 64 was one year only smooth trunk lid.

Martin, I guess this has been an education on Hawk Trunk lids. For some reason, I always seem to stumble on 56 lids. I noticed in the other post the parts car had a 56 hood inside. You should get that as it is a one year only as others have pointed that out. If I do find one here in AZ, I have a brother in WA now and could always find an excuse to come visit and bring one.

Not to be mean, but looking at the car, there are many things needing attention that cosmetics should be done far on the list. First, make sure the car will stop and do brakes. Even pushing and the car starts rolling without the whoa can lead to further damage. After the whoa is good, time to work on the go. When you have a moving stopping car, makes things easy. Take your time, use the 1956 Golden Hawk website. Your car is a top end car and the only marriage of Packard power and Studebaker body.

Bob Miles

Comment

Working...
                              X