No announcement yet.

Speedster driving observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drove a 259 powered 62GT waaay over 200,000 miles, with 3.54 rear end (same as Speedster, but TT) and T85 transmission, and hit 100 MPH maybe half dozen times. Let's be real, no stock 259 powered C/K body Studebaker will go 130 MPH, even if pushed off a cliff, but are lucky to top an honest 100 MPH on level ground. Doesn't matter what the speedo says, it simply ain't possible. As for driving comparison, any stock GT handles better than any earlier stock K body, due to HD front anti sway bar, improved rear spring design (from 57 on), thicker frame, and one piece driveshaft. I love them all, but try to keep it real. Sometimes legends become larger than reality.
    Last edited by JoeHall; 06-17-2020, 06:31 AM.

Comment

The only car I've wrecked in my Life was my Brother's 55 Speedster (1965). I was 14 and driving way over my ability. I was doing 85 mph on a gravel road and touched the brakes because I was coming to a "Yield" sign. It had 67,125 miles on it when I flipped through a ditch. It was fast and low center of gravity. Best looking Dash in the Industry for 1955. The car was built like a tank and saved my life. It was this color scheme. Click image for larger version

Name:	55 Speedster.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1841530Click image for larger version

Name:	ww.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1841531

Comment

... except that a legend is passed down from person to person, not first hand knowledge... Yes, I am an accountant, I understand the math, and I have been told its impossible...

I did not know #12 survived. #5 survives and I believe Rene Harger has it but it is owned by someone else. (as of about 10 years ago). I have #2.

Comment

It would be interesting to know how the Speedster compared to some of its contemporaries. Anybody know? I was 14 in 1955 and had a friend who got a ride in a Speedster and thought it was very fast.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
            It would be interesting to know how the Speedster compared to some of its contemporaries. Anybody know? I was 14 in 1955 and had a friend who got a ride in a Speedster and thought it was very fast.
            I was in the 5th grade when the Speedsters were produced. The music director at my Church bought one. I recall other adults teasing him about his Studebaker. To me, it was pure eye candy. As far as how it compared to other cars of the day...I believe it would perform just fine, but I'm pretty sure few others would compare well to the outside or interior for the "cool cruising."
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
              I did not know #12 survived. #5 survives and I believe Rene Harger has it but it is owned by someone else. (as of about 10 years ago). I have #2.
              Great to hear you still own #2.

Here are some photos I took of #12:

Craig

Comment

I note that this #12 Speedster was the 14th 1955 President.
                Such a nice restoration and then they didn't paint the body tag screws.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wow. Number 12 is stunningly beautiful. It may give me some incentive to clear out the 58 PH, 57 GH, and 55 Speedster (not #2 but lemon lime)(all in process of restoration in my garage). I will probably keep my 55 Commander, 63 GT, #2 Speedster and a convertible TBD.

Comment

Dad was selling insurance in about 1962. One night he was coming home in his 53 starliner v8. There was no traffic and he was running about 80 mph. He felt confident because he knew the road was straight all the way to the highway. What he had forgotten was a humpbacked bridge. He saw it too late to slow down so just held on. The PO had installed lap belts in the car. Dad said when the car started coming back down his hat just touched the headliner. He felt if not for the lap belts he might have been knocked out. It was a perfect four point landing. Sparks came out the sides like the wake on a boat. The car never faltered and Dad came home without any injury to himself or the car.

Next day he went out to the place and measured how far he flew. 50' IIRC. He examined the car and found the tires had rubbed the inner fenders on landing.

It was a pretty fast car for its day.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

What's in a name? The name Speedster has caused confusion about these cars since they were new. The name Speedster conjures up another level of mystique to an otherwise spectacular car. Whether the name is deserved or not it certainly is thought provoking, and has provided for some interesting conversations over the last 55+ years of ownership.

Comment

Working...
                      X