Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first Studebaker

Hi folks,
    well, not technically my first as I have an M-29 Weassl, a WWII tracked vehicle that was built by Studebaker and has a Champion motor in it....BUT, now I just got a 66 Golden Hawk.

I live out in Eastern Washington and my wife saw it in the local Facebook buy/sell and brought it to my attention (she'll probably regret that). I loved the lines and the look of it. We negotiated a very reasonable price and itll be at my place in a week or so.

As you can see from the pics, (edit...it looks like i cant upload pics yet, but i will later when im allowed) its not a runner, but it's actually in pretty good shape. Rust patina on an otherwise straight and solid body. Frame, what i could see of it, looked good. Same with the floor pan. Rockers need attention. Trunk lid is banged up and will test my body working skills. Crank is loose on the original engine.

The interesting part is that this was going to be a project car for someone. All the chrome is off and boxed up, an extra windshield to replace the cracked one, and thr same with passenger side front window. i was told the customer died and the car was stuck in probate before the body shop finally got it out of there, unfinished.

And that's where I came in...and where you come in. Ive been reading in this forum since the day I got the car and I am really impressed with the wealth of knowledge here and also the great spirit of willingness to help.

I look forward to getting to know some of you better, and I will definitely be reaching out for advice and sharing stories and pictures as I work on my Studebaker. I plan to just go slow, just make it driveable at first and then a frame off resto much later. I wanna drive her and get to know if her a bit first.

Well thats all for now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tired iron; 06-09-2020, 06:27 AM.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Martin!

Glad to see another Washingtonian here!

You will find Lots of help here on the Forum and in your area.
    We have several SDC Member and Chapter Member "Escapee's" from over here, on the "Other side of the hill" near you that are very knowledgeable and familiar with many models of Studes.

That looks like a 1956 Golden Hawk that should be "352" Packard V8 Powered.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

It must suck to have to settle for an M-29 and a '56 Golden as your first Studebakers.
      If you've been hanging out here awhile, you already know the first thing to do is procure the Chassis and Body Catalogs and the Shop Manual.

Originally posted by Tired iron View Post
      ...my wife saw it in the local Facebook buy/sell and brought it to my attention (she'll probably regret that).
      Not if you title it in HER name.

Can we assume you've joined the Studebaker Drivers Club?
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Given “trends today......possibly it should have a full mechanical rebuild but KEEP the rust scarred body...(PS I know it’s only a typo.....but OMG a 1966 Golden Hawk!)

Comment

Welcome! Another site you might enjoy is.....http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/index1.htm
          AL SORAN RACING

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. Looking forward to getting it home. Ill post more pictures then. Right now, im giving some attention to the carb, which was if the car so i brought it home. Wow, varnish glued so bad, i cant even get the butterflies to open. We'll see what happens with some soak time. Havent begun looking, but can anyone steer me to a good source for a rebuild kit or at least carb to manifold gasket? Its the Carter WCFB if I remember right.

Comment

You'll find just about everything you'll need at many of our fine vendors. http://www.studebakervendors.com/

And even more if you join the Studebaker Drivers Club. http://studebakerdriversclub.com/index.asp
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10,
              '51 Commander Starlight,
              '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
              '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Martin,

Any 1956 Golden Hawk project needs to start and finish with Brent Hagen. He's a long time parts vendor and a great guy.

6220 SE 55 Ave.
                Portland Or 97206-9687
                ghawk352@effectnet.com

Comment

I will look him up. Thanks for all the tips everyone

Comment

So I got my golden hawk home on a car trailer today. The only surprise was a very good one. The previous owner's wife said, "Oh, i found a couple more things that I think must go with this. Do you want them?"

I'll let the first two picture speak for themselves!

​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                    X