No announcement yet.

Eastern Tennessee - White '60 Lark - found...sadly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you telling me that if you bought a car for $2000, fixed a few things and someone saw it... and had to have it.... and offered you $10,000 for it, you would say NO? You guys are either lying to us or lying to yourself.
    sals54

Comment

Sal,

In my 52 years since age 16 of driving Studebaker's off and on I have never had that problem. There is one car that I made a little money a 1956 Golden Hawk that with the money I had in it and what the buyer was willing to pay on Ebay, it helped to pay for my oldest daughter's wedding. One bidder on the car started before the auction was over and I had corresponded with him two times over the period of time. Each time he came back with a nasty response. It seems he had a bad experience and wanted me to guarantee the car was very good to like new. I dropped him as a bidder and sold the car to Michael Kelly in 2005. After Kelly went down in 2006, I saw the car again up for sale but lost track.

More often than now, for me it has been buy high and sell low. We have had several discussions about the price of the hobby, but my fun factor is what keeps me going. That said, if someone did offer me a large amount of money for my car(s) currently, I would want certification from his lawyer that he was of sound mind.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
        Well, whoever drove that car for 13,000 miles had very nervous hands as there's no paint on the rim of that steering wheel. Hmmmm. Also grey cloth with a brown dash? Not as I've ever seen. Rather curious.
        Enlarging that Interior Photo does show an all Original, all Tan Interior with Tan Cloth Seats, there is a bit too much Sun on them to show the true Color but it IS correct Tan.

The Steering wheel on the other hand is a mystery!
        It appears the correct brown on the bottom half but the whole upper half appears very Flat Charcoal dark Gray or black. That does not look like the usual wear, just here and there, but ALL over like someone sanded it.

Anyway, none of that really deters it's Value including the upside down Lark Horn Button, just NOT $22,000.00 ! I would love to have that little Lark, for 1/4 price.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I don't sell cars very often, but I have sold projects. Since I don't sell very often I don't make any money on the cars that I do sell. By the time I figure shipping storage and misused time spent, before I let go of a project, there is no meat on the bone. I buy a car because I want it, not because I expect to make any money. I have nothing against the flipper, but God help the flipper in today's marketplace!

Sal, to your sample, call me a fool if you choose to, but I have actually paid more for a car then the owner was asking. If I knew that the car was more valuable then he did, I've kicked in more when I wrote the check. It's not at the back end of a sale, it's at the front end, or what I paid for the car, where I draw the line. I could not look myself in the mirror if I had knowingly cheated some old person. Now that I am one of those old people I can leave this world with a, more or less, clear conscience. I guess it comes down to our mindset and what motivates us.

Comment

Not trying to be too picky, but wouldn't the lark medallion on the grill mesh be in the center on a 1960? I just wonder if there wasn't some sort of body damage and replacement parts were substituted. Chrome headlight rings have been added to the base trim package. If the paint is not original the value is limited by other things like quality of work done, how it runs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
              Not trying to be too picky, but wouldn't the lark medallion on the grill mesh be in the center on a 1960? I just wonder if there wasn't some sort of body damage and replacement parts were substituted. Chrome headlight rings have been added to the base trim package. If the paint is not original the value is limited by other things like quality of work done, how it runs etc.
              Yep - lark emblem belongs bottom center. You could see it was a repaint - even with 13K, no car would have that nice of paint. Photos are pre-loading it on the uhaul trailer. New owner did not know the fender on the trailer folded down so he forced the door open against it to get out - driver's door had a dent and paint scraped off when I saw it at that station. If someone pays 22 large and they see that when they show up - they are not going to be happy. It could be fixed by now as well.
              Last edited by 62champ; 06-18-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Even a 76 yrs of age I would have climbed out of the window!

Comment

Oh brother... I'm not talking about stealing a car from someone to flip it. Give me a little credit. I'm just saying that if you had a small investment in a car, and someone wanted it bad enough to give you a lot of money for it, you'd be a fool not to take it.
                  sals54

Comment

Clark just locked a thread down where a guy was asking for opinions on value of his rear differential. Isn't this thread kinda the same, except we are offering unsolicited opinions on value of the whole car? LOL. Pricing Thoughts: 1963 Dana TT Rear End?

Comment

Joe,

I think the other thread was locked because the OP wanted to know the value of an item. I see Clark's point about asking for value. In this case, someone has posted a price and obviously did not want to ask anyone what the price should be. I think that if someone posted on the for sale section then asked everyone what they should ask, that's when the thread would be locked down.

Clark, chime in on this to let us know if that is correct.

Bob Miles

Comment

If I am reading it correctly, Clark is saying that things along those lines do not belong in the Tech Talk channel - general or for sale might be a better fit.

Comment

Sorry Sal if you took my personal admonition as a finger pointed towards you, or any flipper. However older people will continue to be source for bargains and not everyone has scruples. I've seen the results too many times!

Bill

Comment

Amazing! I found almost the Same CAR already Totally "DONE" for only $17,600.00 !
                            You would be Done, before you started with the original posted $22K car Financially!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Studeb....c100167.m2940

Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Dr White Could be Hot Rod Copy1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1841999Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Dr White Could be Hot Rod Copy2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1842000
                            StudeRich

Comment

Oh my goodness Rich, that looks like a small block Chevy in that Lark you posted!! Are you promoting swapping small block Chevys into Studebakers now?
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC
                              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Contrary to common belief here, Truth be told, I DO understand the value of a High Powered not so Original Studebakers!
                                I do own some of Each.

Would I drive that 400 Ft. Lbs Torque, 345 HP '60 Lark you bet, it is well done.
                                Sadly THAT is a much better Car and use of a '60 Lark VI Deluxe 2 Door Sedan with AUTOMATIC Trans. than it originally was.

I would probably just prefer a 200-4R Overdrive, to that THM-350 direct for the Street, since it is setup for Drag Racing with 4.11 Gears.
                                StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                                X