Studebaker Gasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Gasser

I have converted the MEAN 'n GREEN 1964 Challenger to a gasser over the winter but I have not had it at the track yet. I made this video and posted it on youtube today, I hope you enjoy it.
    Thanks,
    Richard Poe
    https://youtu.be/ScIWNb2Cp-4
    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Looks awesome, great job, sounds great!
    sigpic

Comment

Very neat !

Comment

Very Nice!
        DT Holder - Bakersfield CA, USA
        1950 Commander ("Resto-Mod" in progress)

Comment

Cool!!! I just wanted some interior & engine bay pictures...
          sigpic

Josephine
          Champion V8
          4d sedan

Comment

Love the ending!! Bob

Comment

That is a very impressive build! Great looking detail on the aluminum panels inside.
              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That's awesome! Love gassers! That ending is GREAT!! What did you use for your front end?
                -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
                1960 Metropolitan Convertible
                1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
                1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Richard,
                  Great job, can't wait to see her on the track.
                  What sort of weight reduction do you think was accomplished? I'll bet it will really need those wheelie bars now.
                  Cheers,
                  Bill

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. I used the stock frame that I just modified to accept the Speedway 4" drop axle and Wilwood race brakes.
                    It still has some of the heavy stock parts like the heavy frame cross member.
                    The steering is stock heavy Studebaker six box and center steer and 1950 Chevy spindles. As I have always done on this car I wanted to see if it can be done this way.
                    I haven't had a chance to take it down the track so I don't know what will happen at 120mph yet. I was going to go tonight but the rain just canceled that.
                    Thanks,
                    Richard
                    The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

Very nice Richard,

Question: Won't the rear tires get too big on acceleration and rub?

Comment

55s
                        No, I have run this car for about eight or nine years on the track with the stock suspension front and rear, with just a bar under the rear axle spring u bolts on the Dana 44, running up about 36" to the frame. The rear tires are really skinny 9" wide, 28" tall, on 15" rims 7 inches wide with a 4.5" BS. I have run these for several years, but they are hard to hookup on my stick shift car with the HP I have. They never rub, even though as you said they do grow with the RPM. They make a special 29" stick shift tire and I think I can make that work, maybe I will try that next.
                        You can see better in this video from 2017. I was running against a supercharged Camaro in testing and I carried the front tire to the tree, as you can see. This is with all the stock front suspension. Thanks to Ted Harbit who took the 2017 video.
                        Thanks for your interesting question.
                        Richard
                        https://youtu.be/3ahP5HNqQQo

Comment

Very cool Richard.
                          54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
                          59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
                          60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
                          60 Lark
                          63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

Comment

Thank you Andrew,
                            I'm getting a lot of squat, so I'm replacing the rear shocks with the single adjustable (18 settings) QA1s. Maybe it will hook again? This is before with the three-way adjustable shocks, I haven't tested the new shocks yet.
                            Thanks,
                            Richard
                            https://youtu.be/bbclQ3JwuAI

Comment

Originally posted by 63larkr1 View Post
                              Thank you Andrew,
                              I'm getting a lot of squat, so I'm replacing the rear shocks with the single adjustable (18 settings) QA1s. Maybe it will hook again? This is before with the three-way adjustable shocks, I haven't tested the new shocks yet.
                              Thanks,
                              Richard
                              https://youtu.be/bbclQ3JwuAI
                              Your biggest fan from PA will be anxiously waiting to see the results!!!
                              54 C Land Speed - 179.644 mph
                              59 Lark Cruiser - 14.58 @ 99.30
                              60 Lark Gasser 1 - 10.82 @ 122.83
                              60 Lark
                              63 Lark Slammed - 11.62 @ 116.3

Comment

Working...
                              X