Our '55 C-cab door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our '55 C-cab door lock

Early last spring a passenger, bless their heart, got into our truck and thinking it's an old worn out heap slammed the passenger door hard enough to crack the original glass and damage the lock mechanism. The door has not opened and closed properly since. Before, both doors opened and shut as well as the ones on my wife's '08 Chevy Impala. Today I finally started to remove the lock and see if I could figure out what the problem was. I had been dreading the job because the screw that retained the outer handle already had a slightly mangled slot and I expected the screw to break off leaving me drilling it out and tapping new threads. But the screw came out using my 50 year old Snap -on Impact tool. I was still not able to get the outside handle to slide out of the lock though. But after much beating, banging, spraying with PB Blaster, and giving it a good talking to, it works good again. It's all back together again except for that one screw in the handle, which I'm going to replace with a new one, probably stainless with anti-seize . I'm glad I finally got around to it.
    thom

thom

Comment

After asking people, many times, to not slam the door on one of my cars, I put a little sign on the glove box door right in front of the passenger. It read: "Please don't slam the door......... again."

Some of the sweetest, loving/caring people can be the most ham-fisted clods when it comes to mechanical things.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I used to go round and round with my wife on this. If there is any car you don't need to slam the doors on, it was our 1947 Packard.

JT

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          After asking people, many times, to not slam the door on one of my cars, I put a little sign on the glove box door right in front of the passenger. It read: "Please don't slam the door......... again."

Some of the sweetest, loving/caring people can be the most ham-fisted clods when it comes to mechanical things.
          It wouldn't have done any good to have a sign for the passenger that slammed the door on our truck because he couldn't read. I made sure after that happened to always open and close the doors on all our other vehicles for him. Sadly, he is no longer with us.
          The doors on our '28 Model A coupe open and close as well as most new cars and I'd like to keep it that way. I always open and close the door for my wife but she knows how in case she needs to get something out or put something in the car. We rarely have passengers in our '21 Model T but I always open and close the doors when we do.
          thom

Comment

Working...
          X