Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogi
    replied
    When I got the car I had dreams of having a show car. After reading the judges rules and point deduction system it appears to me that the only cars that can win are those that are kept in air-tight containers and then trailored in on enclosed trailers. I think it is silly to have a car that you can't enjoy driving every day if you are so minded. I remember as a boy in a poor rural area, the reason there were so many Studebaker pickups was because they were cheaper than anything else. And after a very few miles, they would leak a little oil, and the engine bays were certainly not spotless. Why don't they have a show for daily drivers and part of the point system be tied to how many miles you put on it in a year? I have never been to a car show but it sounds like a pretty elite group.

Leave a comment:

• S2Deluxe
    replied
    I'm sure, it got plenty of attention, just the way it was, when you got it! It looks and sounds, to me, like it should be a pretty decent show car, when it's done, even if you don't bother with showing it?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Yogi
    replied
    It is a nice looking car. The rust wasn't too bad over all. The camera wasn't close enough to show rust holes in the doors and the deck lid was a real monster. I managed to save the seat covers and panel covers but the carpet was mush. We put all new brake parts in it with wheel seals. I have a new pinion seal but at the time did not have a pinion puller. Motor runs great. Rear main seal leaks and shift linkage needs work. Have to hold it in reverse. I hope new grommets and some adjustment will take care of that. I told Larry I didn't have to have a great paint job since I wouldn't put it in a show. I had planned to take it to MAACO. He said it was too nice a car to not do the best job possible and if he couldn't do that, he didn't want to do it at all. He estimated about a month for the job. Of course when he is finished I have to put the chrome back on. put carpet in and a thousand other pop-up things. But at some point I'll be able to drive it while I'm still working on those things.

Leave a comment:

• acolds
    replied
    Hope your job is not fill in work as having past experience with that kind of work on two cars and truck great work but about one year each and three different shops . Worth the wait just slows project which is bad for us old guys

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    Thanks for the pics. Looks like you had a very nice car to begin with. I bet she's gonna be a beauty! Please post pics when she comes home from the body shop.

Leave a comment:

• Yogi
    replied
    I added pictures including the body shop guy sanding. He's taking it down to bare metal and repairing some of my sloppy body work. Needless to say I am excited!

Leave a comment:

• Yogi
    replied
    December 2nd, 2017, the day we brought it home

Click image for larger version  Name:	normal_20171202_105513b.jpg Views:	2 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	1838273

Click image for larger version  Name:	normal_20171202_105453b.jpg Views:	2 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	1838275

Grandson working on front brakes

Click image for larger version  Name:	normal_imagejpeg_1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	18.4 KB ID:	1838274

Going to the body shop

Click image for larger version  Name:	normal_20200522_028129.jpg Views:	2 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	1838277

Larry Don Johnson in his shop in Rich, Arkansas

Click image for larger version  Name:	normal_IMG_2490c.jpg Views:	2 Size:	27.9 KB ID:	1838276
    Larry's shop is about 5 miles from where I was born. In the heart of redneck country!
    Last edited by Yogi; 05-27-2020, 05:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• S2Deluxe
    replied
    How about posting a few before pictures, if you have any?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Blue 15G
    replied
    It doesn't have to be a show car to look good when it's done. Good luck to you, and I hope it turns out even better than you expect.

Leave a comment:

• Yogi
    started a topic '60 Hawk

'60 Hawk

Two of my sons just loaded my hawk on a trailer to haul it to a body shop in Arkansas run by a family friend. He is supposed to clean-up my half a$$ed body work and paint it. Expect it will take about a month. I will post pictures when I get it back. It won't be a show car, but I hope it looks like one when I drive it down the interstate.
Working...
X