What would you do? Limiting the number of cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do? Limiting the number of cars

Not sure where I will end up, but as of now, I have room for 4 cars, 1 dd, 52 Commander, 56 President Classic, and 1962 Lark. I may have to go down to two cars depending on where I go. I do have an AirConditioning set up that is factory that I got from Jim Pepper. I need to do work on it to make it a daily driver. The 56 overdrive car is a good running car just needing some TLC. The 52 needs the most work but I like the way they drive. DD is 97 Olds 88 runs good but in the course of driving may need items such as the blower motor just going out and no A/C or heat. $250.00 to repair.

Just looking ahead to what might be possibilities.

We do have a diverse group with many opinions so that is why I ask: as far as a home with the ability to work on a car, depends on HOA or if I go to a mobile home community that might have restrictions.

This is to be a retirement move. No more 9-5, travel and enjoy the Studebakers

Bob Miles

Do what I did, just buy an Acre and keep em ALL! Sometimes that does involve going to a CHEAPER Location however, as you know close or IN the Cities are EXPENSIVE !
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My thoughts (From someone who has lived on the same land since 1973)...so I have not been faced with moving in a long time. But if I did...I would want electrical service, water supply, and as much distance from the nearest neighbor as I could afford. I would only want an HOA with ONE member. In other words, freedom, and solitude on my terms.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So True! However some of us myself included for sure, do forget that this IS 2020!

What we Paid under $200,000.00 for 20 Years ago, depending on Where you are, is easily 3 to $500,000.00 Today.
        StudeRich

Comment

That is a factor but I am looking several areas in and out of Arizona. Funds are budgeted so the retirement is fore front. So I have to drive longer to meetings. Good exposure. Any thought on putting the 62 A/C in the 56, make the 52 a work project, part with the Lark and Olds

Bob Miles

Comment

Out of the information provided, I vote for keeping the 1956 President Classic.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
              Not sure where I will end up, but as of now, I have room for 4 cars, 1 dd, 52 Commander, 56 President Classic, and 1962 Lark. I may have to go down to two cars depending on where I go. I do have an AirConditioning set up that is factory that I got from Jim Pepper. I need to do work on it to make it a daily driver. The 56 overdrive car is a good running car just needing some TLC. The 52 needs the most work but I like the way they drive. DD is 97 Olds 88 runs good but in the course of driving may need items such as the blower motor just going out and no A/C or heat. $250.00 to repair.

Just looking ahead to what might be possibilities.

We do have a diverse group with many opinions so that is why I ask: as far as a home with the ability to work on a car, depends on HOA or if I go to a mobile home community that might have restrictions.

This is to be a retirement move. No more 9-5, travel and enjoy the Studebakers

Bob Miles

I would think that you could do what Stude Rich did, buy a patch of land outside of town with the smallest house that the "war department" will be satisfied with and put up a building for you and your "treasure." Out of the cars you mentioned, my favorite would be the '62... Small manageable size, simple wiring nice functional interior/cockpit.

You live only down the road from me, I'm off of I-10 by about sixty miles north, (Austin, TX) so only about a two day trip!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best...

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
                That is a factor but I am looking several areas in and out of Arizona. Funds are budgeted so the retirement is fore front. So I have to drive longer to meetings. Good exposure. Any thought on putting the 62 A/C in the 56, make the 52 a work project, part with the Lark and OldsBob Miles
                Well that certainly makes sense, since the Studebaker and Vintage aftermarket Units are UNDER the dash it should be no problem to go from a '62 to a '56 especially if you have all the A/C Parts for a V8 Engine.

The trick is, since the DD Olds. will be gone that you restore EVERY part of the Pres. to be a dependable Driver for at least sometimes and a Long Distance Driver so we can see you at the SDC Meets.

What Type of '62 Lark? A ho hum 4 Door, Cool Hardtop, Wagon or What?
                I am sure glad you only asked for "Suggestions", because everyone's ideas may not be your own!

I take it you have NO "significant Other" to satisfy with a really Fancy Mansion to live in?
                If not, you can spend it on the Pole Building, existing or New.
                Here's mine, the Big Shop (2 Doors) is 32 Ft. X 84 the "Garage" is (3 Doors) is 36 X 24.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0101.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	1836822
                My long time Stude. friend (also on the Forum) from Calif. got "Out'a Dodge" and left the Inland Empire of Calif. for the High Country of Arizona, between Old 66 and Interstate 40 near Seligman AZ.
                That area is VERY Wide Open, near National Parks and should be Beautiful.
                Last edited by StudeRich; 05-19-2020, 07:52 PM.
                StudeRich

Comment

For myself I currently have three hobby cars. That is one too many. I have a Formula Ford road racing car I use for autocross, a Cobra replica and the 39 CE. I am currently planning to sell the Cobra.

I've had more cars in the past but places to put them is problematic. I recently created an office space in one of the garage bays too so that is one less place to keep a car inside.

The FF is the easiest as it was professionally built by very professional folks. The Cobra was built by good guys too but it has a lot of unusual stuff on it and some stuff is hard to work on because of access. The CE is done except for a list of maybe 6 things to straighten out.

Having too many cars makes me feel like a slave to them.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Well, Bob...Rich is certainly right about all of us having different suggestions and opinions. Trouble is... none of us have to face the world through your eyes, nor do we know your circumstances and challenges. Add in the weirdness of this Pandemic, the uncertainty of the outcome, and the effects it will have on all of our futures, and here you are exploring where to land for your retirement years. I almost made a flippant post about looking for good deals on recent abandoned K-Mart or Sears buildings, but, considering the seriousness of the times...probably an inappropriate attempt at humor. By the time we sort out the results of this pandemic, there's no telling how many properties, homes, and communities will be realigned, populations shifted, and even deals to be had.

My feeling is that I only wish the best for you regardless of how you work it out. As far as the number of cars...keep only as many as you can enjoy. More than that will complicate your life.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bob,
                      We just completed that "downsizing" thing! Went from about 4400 sq. ft. (and an oversize 4 car garage) to 1700 sq. ft. and (they call it a 2 car garage) I call it a 1 car plus room for a golf cart! I found a storage unit about 5 miles away about 550 sq. ft. I can fit 2 cars, and overstock of parts. When we moved, I found all kinds of "stuff" I forgot I had, I plan on putting it all on eBay a little at a time.

The other thing, went from 3/4 of an acre with 80-100 trees, to a postage stamp size lot, just planted a tree! seriously thinking of getting a reel push mower! LOL

NO more spending several weekends cleaning up leaves, no more 35 yards of mulch, did that here a few weeks ago, 5 yards, and about 3 hours, done!

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

I would for sure sell the newer cars & keep the -56!
                        (I just sold my other daily driver so now I "only" have my -55 sedan & I aint ever gonna buy anything modern again that I would have to replace anyway every few years for different reasons.)
                        Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-20-2020, 12:31 PM.
                        sigpic

Josephine
                        Champion V8
                        4d sedan

Comment

The most obvious answer is to keep the olds for your main vehicle. They will literally last forever if you take care of them, and are practical for modern driving and every day use.

for the second car, it’s hard for any of us to say without seeing them in person. But since I have a fondness for larks, I would keep the lark.
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

When you are looking for a solution sometimes life just presents what you need. Since I made my first entry, I have been cleaning repairing painting and working on new flooring for my house. It is in a historical neighborhood and there are no houses for sale at this time. Full size lots of 1/3 acre and with my brothers help I can sell it and clear money to start my new life.

I found this on Craigslist: https://tucson.craigslist.org/for/d/...107847772.html there are some options that fall within my price range and it is a higher elevation and cooler somewhat in summer and winter. I could negotiate for six lots get two or more side by side to throw up a pole barn and buy a mobile or build a small home. Good fences make good neighbors and I could keep all cars. Taxes on unimproved lots are $186 per year. I would of course investigate deed restrictions. Far away but still close. I could keep two lots side by side and eventually sell of the other 4.

I just lost 255 pounds of ugly fat. My wife is divorcing me. Actually she has not because of medical debt that has not been resolved. 5 years ago when I was between jobs, no medical insurance. I begged her to put me on her insurance but she said it was too expensive. Then I ended up in the hospital with a seizure and other stuff so I incurred 40K in medical debt. Last time we talked(she yelled I listened) she was not divorcing me because she would still be responsible for medical debt. I don't have to be in a hurry as far as the divorce. In fact, once I have an offer on the house, I will file for divorce. What she does not realize is that I am entitled to half her 401 K and other retirement plans. Enough of this personal side.

All three cars are v8 overdrive 4 doors. If I had to I would probably keep the Olds and the 56 but if this works out I can have all 4 plus (somebody hit me) I could add a car here or there.

Thanks gang keep the suggestion coming.

Bob Miles

Comment

Hi Bob,
                              Sorry to hear you have been going through some difficult times but it sounds like the worst may be behind you. I looked up your Craigslist post and thought that may be somewhere near where we met at Chuck Naugles' estate auction (Benson?) a few years back. Lots of room so you can do what YOU want to do. I am the last person to advise on this as I am mired with way too many projects. I agree that in these hurried times it is nice to have a brand X for daily, somewhat reliable usage. Sonja & I use GMC Yukon XL Denalis because our pups are always with us and like the room. Looking up Mescal in Google maps shows a really funky Saloon you should buy and have for entertainment in your retirement!
                              Good Luck in whatever choices you make.
                              Cheers,
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X