No announcement yet.

Engine swap considered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did ya know that the Valves CAN be adjusted on side Valve Sixes by just removing a Valve Door?

Notice I did not say it was easy!

If it has been leaking a lot from those Valve Covers, there are 12 small holes under the Lower part of the Cover Gaskets that had a factory fix to install small Lead Carb. Plugs in the holes, because there IS Oil Pressure to the Lifters in them! They MAY already be plugged.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-15-2020, 07:20 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Tom— I have a Champion 6 NOS “fitted block assembly” still in it’s crate, swaddled in cosmoline, that you can have for oh, say $750? And I’m just in Renton... not sure of the year as it has no serial number. I also have a Buick Regal carbureted turbocharger... Kenny Durkee
      1950 Commander Land Cruiser
      1951 Champion Business Coupe
      1951 Commander Starlight
      1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
      1953 Champion Starlight
      1953 Commander Starliner
      1953 2R5
      1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
      1957 Silver Hawk
      1957 3E5 Pick-Up
      1959 Silver Hawk
      1961 Hawk
      1962 Cruiser 4 speed
      1963 Daytona Convertible
      1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
      1965 Cruiser
      1970 Avanti

Comment

Rich - When I had the engine out I replaced the valve cover gaskets and should have checked the valve clearances when it was apart. Duh!
        I bought some BBs at a sporting goods store and used them in the holes you mentioned. Worked for me several times before on rebuilds as the BBs fit snugly.
        Kenny, thanks for the option! $750 for most of new engine is a bargain. If after valve adjustment and planing the manifold I still can't get up the hill respectably, I'll pursue it!

Comment

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
          Rich - When I had the engine out I replaced the valve cover gaskets and should have checked the valve clearances when it was apart. Duh!
          I bought some BBs at a sporting goods store and used them in the holes you mentioned. Worked for me several times before on rebuilds as the BBs fit snugly.
          Kenny, thanks for the option! $750 for most of new engine is a bargain. If after valve adjustment and planing the manifold I still can't get up the hill respectably, I'll pursue it!
          You might want to think about/investigate if you would be going from a 185 to a 170.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
            I took all the plugs out and checked compression on each cyl with an opened the choke plate and floored accelerator while cranking:
            1 - 100 pounds
            2 - 75
            3 - 115
            4 - 85
            5 - 100
            6 - 100
            That's better than I thought I'd see.
            While you're already in it adjusting the valves, get #2 and #4 in turn up on compression; put 100# of air pressure into the cylinders. Listen at the intake, exhaust, crankcase to determine where that missing 25# of compression is going. If it just takes a valve touchup to get those two up to 100#, that would make a noticeable difference in performance at no cost.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Private Message sent.

Comment

For what it's worth, I put a rebuilt "Thunderbolt" 283 in my '55 Speedster. Added a "power pack" (Edelbrock intake, Rochester 4GC, block-hugger headers). As you have the mounts it would be pretty straight forward. Much more power than any Stude of its time. A suggestion, if you consider the V8 chevy option a terrific transmission is out there. I have one in my Speedster. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...3B&FORM=IQFRBA

Great transmission, uses chevy alum. bell (bolts to engine), many alum. components and is a 4 sp OD (3rd is 1:1, 4th is OD) They all came Click image for larger version

Name:	OIP.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	1836891 with Hurst shifters. OR, you could use your BW T86, I have a bell housing. Problem is it weighs a ton (cast iron).
                Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
                ______

'51 Muntz Jet
                '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
                '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
                '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
                '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

Also, if you change engines you will need a new driveshaft.
                  Last edited by vetteson; 05-20-2020, 06:15 AM.
                  Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
                  ______

'51 Muntz Jet
                  '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

Originally posted by vetteson View Post
                    For what it's worth, I put a rebuilt "Thunderbolt" 283 in my '55 Speedster. Added a "power pack" (Edelbrock intake, Rochester 4GC, block-hugger headers). . Much more power than any Stude of its time.
                    Without a cam and valve spring change, how much horsepower increase are you claiming for the Edelbrock intake and block hugger headers? The 1958 Chevy 283" 4-bbl was rated at 220hp. The 1958 Studeabaker 289" 4-bbl was rated at 225hp.

FWIW, when I raced 283"s it was usually heads-up; the Stude's TwinTraction, lower rear axle ratio and overdrive was usually enough for the win.

jack vines

PackardV8

Comment

Who knows, I was referring to my '55 Speedster. Anyway, yes, in '58 with heads and FI, 283s were making 290 hp in Corvettes
                      Toby Knoll Garage

www.tobyknollgarage.com
                      ______

'51 Muntz Jet
                      '56 Corvette SR replica

Comment

An old friend locally has offered me a free OHV Stude six from a '63, which would be a good option.
                        Got this back from the machine shop today and will try the hill once it's back in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_111300[1].jpg
Views:	86
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1836915

Comment

An old friend locally has offered me a free OHV Stude six from a '63, which would be a good option if it's not too tired.
                          Got this back from the machine shop today and will try the hill once it's back in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200520_111300[1].jpg
Views:	84
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1836917

Comment

Working...
                          X