You Tube Video Of 56J Underway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Tube Video Of 56J Underway

My son and I went out for about 30 miles in the 56J today, an I had him take this video while on the way home. Note the higher oil pressure, thanks to the Oldsmobile pump mod, and cool temps thanks to the (equivalent of) 5-row radiator. This car has a 3.31 rear end, with TT, as does the 62GT I have, with same transmission.

Next time, will try to capture more of the beautiful KY countryside. Here's today's video: Studebaker 56J In Flight
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-14-2020, 11:01 AM.

A fine feathered friend in flight. Love the 3 speed overdrive.

Bob Miles

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
      A fine feathered friend in flight. Love the 3 speed overdrive.

Bob Miles
      Bob,
      I have owned five 56J drivers, and driven them a collective total of around 235,000 miles now. But have driven this one the most (over 165,000), and it will always be my favorite. Have had an Ultramatic, a TH400 conversion, and three with T85. I like them all, and the TH400 was sweetest, but still prefer T85, though with 3.31 rear end instead of factory 3.92. Note how smoothly it shifts.

Thanks for the comment

Comment

I can hear the driveshaft in spots of the video and, at time segment 5:30, can hear the rear spring wind up/shudder upon takeoff. The 56Js were infamous for that, right off the show room floor. It was fixed in 57, with different geometry of the rear springs. Many model Studes used that spring up till 56, but AFAIK the 56J was the only one that used a rubber snubber above the forward end, to minimize spring wind up. It helps and comes into play often, because that spot on the spring stays shiny from kissing the snubber.

Comment

Working...
        X