Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Studebaker mechanic around Louisville?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a Studebaker mechanic around Louisville?

My '50 Champion still runs like crap. I had to call my wife and have her tow me home with our pickup earlier this week. I had the carb rebuilt but I guess that wasn't the problem. I have no idea what I'm doing trying to adjust the carburetor and I need someone to PLEASE help me get it running right. It won't idle, it won't stay running when I come to a stop and it will barely go 55 mph, and it doesn't run smoothly like it's supposed to. I don't need a lot of suggestions on things I can do, I need someone to come here and fix it for me. Is there anyone out there who can help me? Thanks....

1950 Champion 2 Dr. Sedan

1949 Studebaker 2R5 half ton pickup...

Mark Anderson
    Member SDC and FMCA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
    www.65cruiser.com

Comment

He's worked on it twice so far. I don't want to make any negative comments on the forum about him so let's just say I don't want to take it back to him a third time....[8]

Comment

Not to be glib, but did he work on it for the same problem and did he give any indication as to the problem? Did it run better after it was worked on, then get worse? Has the compression been checked? Timing? There's a lot of little things that could be piling up to make it run badly. Or something big.

Mark Anderson
        Member SDC and FMCA
        Keeper of the Studebaker Cruiser Registry
        www.65cruiser.com

Comment

He removed the distributor to replace the points and it's run a lot worse since. I took it back to him a second time (62 mile round trip) and he said there was a wiring problem. I replaced the bad wires with new ones. He adjusted the timing but the compression has never been checked. Do you know anyone else around here who works on old cars?

Comment

I'm still looking for someone....

Comment

Comment

Dave, go to your local NAPA store and ask them if they know the best old car guy around. They know them all and probably the ones who work at dealers and maybe work at home for extra money. They hear about the hacks.
                There are so many things that it could be, it's hard to diagnose here. Your distributor could be it-to your engine full of 58 year old sludge. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X