Wagonaire headrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagonaire headrests

We are restoring a very nice ‘63 Wagonaire Daytona. It came with a standard bench seat. A couple years ago, I foolishly sold a Wagonaire Split Bench seat with dual recliners and dual factory headrests... wish I hadn’t! So for more than a year I’ve been looking for another seat like that. I finally found a split bench with dual recliners, but no headrests. The seat is now freshly restored to original. Do any of you know... can I add headrests? Do any of you have a pair in Black? What would be involved in installing them, now that the seats have already been reupholstered? Click image for larger version

Name:	DB124BCD-5FEC-4B3F-9237-7FA976B14601.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	1835341
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Kenny: You lucky dog! I have been looking for a split bench with dual recliners for over two years with no luck. Ran an ad in the Studebaker Parts Swap page with no luck and called everyone I could think of. You scored big. I have a second 64 Wagonaire with a set of those seats and the passenger side does have the receptacle for the head rest but no head rest. The problem is that it is in a good running car that I don't want to fool with because I plan to sell it.

I could send out an email to all the Wagonaire owners registered on the Wagonaire Registry if you would like for me to try that to see if it might produce any head rest info. I know that some of them do have head rests. Just let me know if you want me to try that for you.
    Nick

Comment

I think that any seat can accept a headrest, but there might be a slight inner spring or wire brace removal necessary to allow the headrest post to go all the way down. Forum member stude1964 has done this to multiple seats and that seems to be one of the things I remember him mentioning - he would be able to help. Here is the front seat of his '64 Daytona .

Comment

Kenny: Just a thought that might answer your question about what is needed to install: these templates are listed at the National Museum:
        AC-3575 Head Rest install - all 1964 w/o Bucket Seats - see AC-2999 1964
        AC-3515 Head Rests - all all
        AC-2999 Head Rests - all 1963 + prior models + 1964 Bucket Seats all
        Nick

Comment

I had a headrest on eBay awhile back....it didn’t sell.

Comment

The Color is not important Kenny, as the Covers are zippered and you can have your Upholstery Guy make Black matching New ones.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              The Color is not important Kenny, as the Covers are zippered and you can have your Upholstery Guy make Black matching New ones.

Well of course finding nice black ones would save a step and probably some dollars...
              1951 Commander Starlight
              1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
              1953 Champion Starlight
              1953 Commander Starliner
              1953 2R5
              1957 Silver Hawk
              1957 3E5 Pick-Up
              1959 Silver Hawk
              1961 Hawk
              1962 Cruiser 4 speed
              1963 Daytona Convertible
              1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
              1965 Cruiser
              1970 Avanti

Comment

Originally posted by ndynis View Post
                Kenny: Just a thought that might answer your question about what is needed to install: these templates are listed at the National Museum:
                AC-3575 Head Rest install - all 1964 w/o Bucket Seats - see AC-2999 1964
                AC-3515 Head Rests - all all
                AC-2999 Head Rests - all 1963 + prior models + 1964 Bucket Seats all
                Nick
                That seems pretty helpful. Thanks! I do have an old split-bench backrest laying around... it’s rusty and nasty, so maybe I’ll cut it open and have a look inside first to see what I can learn.
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

The year may dictate which brackets are correct. All brackets that go into and anchor at the top with 2 Phillips screws I believe are the same. The differences are year specific such as straight brackets for '59/'60 and later Lark /Hawk bucket seats. This is the part to which the headrest itself attaches. If you see the pic above of my '64 HT which 62 Champ posted you will notice straight stalks on the headrests. These are incorrect for '64 Larks/Cruisers with bench/recliners. I have since installed the correct posts. Thank you Bob Palma for catching my error and setting me straight!!! The posts I have installed have 2- 90 degree bends in them to bring the headrest more forward than other years. There is also a different post for '61-'63 (have different and slight bends )which would be more or less correct for bucket seats. I'm guessing the posts were changed due to thickness differences in seat cushions but not positive. If you find the brackets that screw into the seat backs I had the '64 style posts made up so if I needed I could make another set or two for my '64's. I may have a spare pair if you want the '64 style in your '63 wagon. My Uncle Al sold Studes when new and would install whatever the customer desired and was on his shelf! As far as installation of the stalks I have the original template for the location to cut (oh my! )your upholstery. I did it to my '64 HT with NOS covers just before the Mansfield meet. You measure 2 or 3 times and cut once!!!!!!! If you PM with email me I'll shoot pics of my installations and brackets. There are mods to the bucket seat spring near the ashtray but other seat rests no except for moving the padding for clearance of the stalk.
                  Rob in PA.
                  UPDATE:The pic of the HT IS correct but doesn't show the offset of the headrest bracket which brings the headrest forward for better comfort.
                  Last edited by stude1964; 05-18-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X