X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by yeti View Post

I do wish I could buy a villa for $29,000 today though...
    Figuring that the picture is about 1965, $29K is not that cheap. It is all location in real estate. At that time, you could buy a home in the Hudson Valley of NY for one-half that. This year, I sold a very nice 2/2 condo in Florida for $31K.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Perhaps you are referring to "theatre" instead of the more/currently common theater. If so, you may consider this a French connection to Loewy.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    There's a Corvette coming from right & Studebaker used McKinnon/Chevy engines & there's a Valiant escaping to the left, talking about designer similaritys...

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    A famous designer also did those busses, as well as several Studebaker designs.
    This is technically correct!
    While we generally associate Loewy with the GMC Scenicruisers, the fact is, he holds the patent for the "Double-Deck Coach" in partnership with Orville Caesar, regardless of its configuration or brand.
    Patent No. 2,563,179
    Click image for larger version  Name:	loewy bus2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	9.2 KB ID:	1835451Though there ARE Studebaker taxis in the movie.Click image for larger version

Name:	loewy bus.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1835453
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HOXXOH
    replied
    Hovering over the photo will produce a misspelled name that is an obvious clue.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Those Buses have to be the "Trailways" answer to the Greyhound Scenicruiser Buses.

The "Secret Studebaker Connection" may have something to do with that obviously "Premier" showing Day of that Movie or one of the Characters in it.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 05-13-2020, 09:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rbisacca
    replied
    Those busses look nothing like the Scenicruisers. Scenicruisers were longer, had more windows, and had two rear axles. Also, the "hump" was much taller and had a windshield.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	135
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1835413
    Last edited by rbisacca; 05-13-2020, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• yeti
    replied
    I thought so too, but didn't his designs have two rear axles? My next guess is the movie being shown is somehow connected to a Studebaker car or person?

I do wish I could buy a villa for $29,000 today though...

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    A famous designer also did those buses, as well as several Studebaker designs.
    I don't believe those are actual Scenicruisers.

Knockoff lookalikes, perhaps made by C.D. Beck Co.?

Craig

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by Avantidon View Post
    Brad, are you asking where the picture was taken? If not mistaken SB
    Hardly!

It's the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard in California.

$29K might buy you a chunk sidewalk block there now, not a villa-maybe in South Bend, but not in CA!

Craig

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    Brad, are you asking where the picture was taken? If not mistaken SB

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    My first full time job was at a movie theater when "How To Murder Your Wife" came out. I still enjoy it every time it shows up on the small screen.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker related? Those in the know, let newbies guess

Click image for larger version

Name:	raynond Loewy.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1835337
Working...
X