X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrazyCars
    replied
    Originally posted by 50Ragtop View Post
    I have a '50 Champion basket case. I'm learning a lot about these cars. The bodies from '47 to '52 are the same, however Champions are shorter wheelbase than Commanders. And because of this, the front end fenders, hoods, etc do not interchange between Champions and Commanders. In 1951, even though the basic style of the '50 is still there, the parts do not interchange with a '50. Sorry, you'll need to find another '50 Champion hood, no others will fit.
    In regard to an engine upgrade, it was advised to me that the stock frame is fairly "light duty". If you look closely at the rear differential and leaf springs you'll see they are light duty by most hot rodder standards. You'll want to strengthen the frame and upgrade the differential/rear suspension if you go with too much engine.
    Thanks greatly!!!

Leave a comment:

• 50Ragtop
    replied
    I have a '50 Champion basket case. I'm learning a lot about these cars. The bodies from '47 to '52 are the same, however Champions are shorter wheelbase than Commanders. And because of this, the front end fenders, hoods, etc do not interchange between Champions and Commanders. In 1951, even though the basic style of the '50 is still there, the parts do not interchange with a '50. Sorry, you'll need to find another '50 Champion hood, no others will fit.
    In regard to an engine upgrade, it was advised to me that the stock frame is fairly "light duty". If you look closely at the rear differential and leaf springs you'll see they are light duty by most hot rodder standards. You'll want to strengthen the frame and upgrade the differential/rear suspension if you go with too much engine.
    Last edited by 50Ragtop; 05-11-2020, 06:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCars
    replied
    Turns out this 50 Studebaker Champion is also missing the hood! Would a hood from any model 1950 Stude fit?(possibly 1951, too?) Once again, very grateful for all replies. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Originally posted by DTHolder View Post
    Here is a 327 SBC in my 50 Commander
    There's a lot more room under the hood of a '50 Commander than there is a '50 Champion; as well as a lot more suspension.

Leave a comment:

• DTHolder
    replied
    Here is a 327 SBC in my 50 Commander

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=1825917&d=1584728939.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1834807

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    A friend did the conversion to a later Studebaker six in the 1970s. IIRC, he had to "massage" the cowl a bit, along with some changes.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    The '64 170" is a bolt-in, few modification required. The Chevy (you don't mention if it's a six-cyl or V8) will take a lot more work, but either will make much more power.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• CrazyCars
    started a topic motor transplant for 1950 Stude Champion

motor transplant for 1950 Stude Champion

I've been offered a pretty nice 50 Champion 2 dr with no motor. I do own a 1964 170 cu in rebuilt motor and a 1965 Chevy/Studebaker motor. Would it take much modifications to use either of these motors in the 1950? Any and all replys greatly appreciated. TY.
Working...
X