A tribute to the greatest generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A tribute to the greatest generation

Want to remember one of the most important days of the one of the most important events for our fore bearers. We are all different as a result of their efforts.

Thanks to each and every Veteran that served, in service, and future service! All of these guys & Gals that served in WWII, came home, threw their duffle bags in the closet and went back to the job they had before the war, and never talked about it. One of the Veterans that I had the Honor of being his Guardian on IHF 1, was Albert "Bud" Rees, when I met him, he told me that he landed on Omaha Beach on D-Day. When I told him I'd never been in the room with a Hero, he stated " The boys who didn't come home are the real Heroes"

At 97, he is still with us, and in pretty good shape, when I saw him a few months ago. He also made the comment, "we just did what we were told to do" Yep, they saved the free world, but don't think they did anything special!

If not for the "social distancing" I'd try to drop by an assisted living place and thank them in person!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

My WWII veteran dad died last November at 94. Before he died I had a chance to spend several days with him recording his memories of his service in the Navy at Pearl Harbor. The story he told was riveting. I will be transcribing his words and sending them off along with the photos I have of him taken during that time to the Library of Congress National Archives in Washington DC. They put out a call years ago for people to do this in order to preserve the stories of our veterans. There can't be many left.
      As a child I remember hearing about Civil War veterans who were still alive. They are all long gone now and such will be the case with our WWII veterans. Very sad. They will all be remembered and appreciated for the many sacrifices they made during the war.
      Ed Sallia
      Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

This sure is something to never forget!
        Even if Sweden wasn't in the war we weren't really out of it either & my parents told me loads. It was heavy times & ofcourse young people who never even spoke to someone who remember those years will never understand.
        I's been on the news all day here.
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

Great Tribute, and Beautiful Car.

Thank you!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Great Tribute, and Beautiful Car.

Thank you!
            What He Said!!
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Thanks for posting this! A great tribute and an excellent reminder.

Mark

Comment

The picture of Pops LST is on one of the Beaches of Normandy , He will be 96 in Oct. He has the flag off that LST on display in his living room. This is the second ship he was on , The first was a Liberty ship which was torpedoed and sunk off No. Africa. He was rescued by fishermen and turned over to the British who let him use the hot water from a steam locomotive in to get the heavy oil off him, He still lives by himself and is doing great , A Proud son , Ed
                Last edited by jts359; 05-08-2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                  The picture of Pops LST is on one of the Beaches of Normandy , Ed
                  Growing up I found out a member of our church had served in World War II. When I asked him about it, he told me how he had been the member of a crew that operated an LST in the Pacific. He laughed when he told me that most of the service men on board said LST stood for "Large - Stationary - Target".

I often wonder if you could time-travel soldiers from 1945, 75 years into the future and see what their reactions would be if you took them to a gathering of people in "any name" small town America, and they saw people waving Nazi flags and giving the salute made notorious by that same group - what there reactions might be?

The last time I visited with my grandmother, I asked her about her older brother, Marvin, who was with the Marines on Guadalcanal. He had my great-grandparents sign papers so he could into the Marines at age 17 in 1940. He was killed in action but my grandmother said one of the hardest things was having to wait until 1947 when his body was finally returned to the US and given a formal funeral. She said her parents always felt like that because they had signed those papers, they somehow were responsible for him being where he was.

Comment

Yes, I remember when I was in London in the spring of -76 in a subway station; a young guy had a nazi cap on his head & an old man went crazy & started to shout & pretending to shoot at him & throwing hand garantes, sure makes one wonder about how much the nazis of today really knows or understand...
                    sigpic

Josephine
                    Champion V8
                    4d sedan

Comment

Working...
                    X