Comical Selling Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comical Selling Strategy

This very nice Lark was listed last week with a starting bid of $2950. Didn't get a bid- so what's the new strategy?

Re-list with a new opening bid... lower, of course- right? NOPE. $8500! [:0]

Yes, it's a new seller; but they're not excused from common sense. I still don't know why some folks just can't get the concept that auctions work by starting with a LOW opening bid- and that it doesn't matter where it starts, but where it ENDS.

I bring this up because it's a sweet little car, and it's a shame the seller is taking this silly approach- likely it means he'll end up frustrated, and the car will be left somewhere to deteriorate. Hopefully it will be a lesson to those that wrongly use a big opening bid[V] Basic common sense!

Here's the first listing:

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

"Some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"- 311

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I bet Ebay loves when people continue to relist vehicles and pay the fee's

no feedback is sure to make it a tough sale

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
    259cid flight o matic

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

No fee to list as long as you don't do more than 4 a year...

The fees for selling a vehicle on eBay Motors are different from the fees for selling items in other categories. The amount you pay depends on the listing package you choose – Basic, Premium, or Plus. Each listing package offers different levels of bundled features for a set fee.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

I e-mailed this fellow just before his sale ended last time. He was very nice about it. It's really sad, Bob, that this car was his Dad's and he doesn't seem to appreciate anything past it's monitary value. Very sad, but there you have it.[V]

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

quote:Originally posted by JLasvegas

No fee to list as long as you don't do more than 4 a year...

The fees for selling a vehicle on eBay Motors are different from the fees for selling items in other categories. The amount you pay depends on the listing package you choose – Basic, Premium, or Plus. Each listing package offers different levels of bundled features for a set fee.

Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

[IMG][/IMG]

Well then he might get one more chance because I believe this is the 3rd try

I also see that a lark Wagonaire has made its return trip to the bay

1964 Daytona Wagonaire
          259cid flight o matic

"IT'S BAD LUCK TO BE SUPERSTITIOUS"

Comment

Just a theory,

I once had a dryer for sale in a neighbors garage sale, It worked just fine and wanted it gone.....had it listed for $25 didn't sell all morning. Neighbor suggested I put it at $100 to give the impression of higher value, and perception nothing was wrong. Kinda the: If it's too good to be true (cheap) it probably is.
            This blew my mind, Why? Reverse pshycology? It sold in the next 30 min for an easy haggled price of $75. True..it could have been just timing, but it sold.

Now this pricipal doesn't apply to Auctions as stated by bams, but someone unfamiliar to ebay or studebakers may be trying/fishing for a good price using this approach?

ChopStu
            61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Re the pricing thing. Several years ago, my daughter's softball team had a refrigerator for sale at a yard sale for $50.00 with lookers, but no buyers. A friend of ours wrote $100.00 above the first price and crossed the $100.00 out. The next person who looked at the refrigerator bought it.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, both w/overdrive.Searcy,Arkansas
              "I may be lazy, but I'm not shiftless."
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
              X