Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daan
    replied
    Do the non-convertible seats also have built-in seatbelts? There seems to be lots of Sedans near me, but no convertibles...

EDIT: Nevermind, the scrapyard that I was looking at, had pictures of a convertible seat in the listings for a sedan.

Leave a comment:

• lhested
    replied
    I'm thinking about using the 2008 and later Sebring convertible seats in my 62 Hawk to get the 3 point belt system (at Mama's suggestion) and because as Jaybird stated these seats look better than the earlier ones with the "arm" sticking up for the shoulder harness.
    Does anyone have any experience using these later seats?
    Do these seats have a mechanical inertial reel type latch, or do they require computer input to latch properly and provide seat belt restraint?

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    Originally posted by bensherb View Post
    Wow Roland, there is no way I'd ever put Transit seats in anything. I've been looking for something to replace them with in the Transit (2018) since they're so uncomfortable (way too narrow and squeeze my ribs) . There again, I'm a bit bigger than you. I guess the key here is to find a seat that is confortable for you, then make it fit.

Probably the most comfortable seats I had were from a 1969 Mustang. I used them (the actuall same seats) in four different cars over 22 years. Unfortunetly, they went away when I sold the last one in '97, an '82 Tolyota.
    Looks like some Transit seats will be available to me when you find something else.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    We own two GMC Yukon Denalis and find their front seats to be superbly comfortable on long trips. They are equipped with fitted belts, adjustable high neck supports, air adjustable support bladders for your back and side bolsters as well as seat heaters. Of course they are covered in very nice two tone leather as well.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• pinehurstbob
    replied
    I used an 81 Monte Carlo split bench in my 60 Lark . The width is just right and mounted the seat tracks on 1.5 inch 90 degree angle stock. I then mounted the same angle stock by bolting it to stock bolt holes in the floor. Next step put the seat in the car and hold with vice grips so you can get the final angle and height you want. Then take it apart and weld the 2 pieces of stock together. I suppose you could drill and bolt if you do not have a welder. I know Monte Carlo seats are the same up to 86 and after that not sure. A lot is common to GM products on the era. Have fun at the wrecking yard.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• bensherb
    replied
    Wow Roland, there is no way I'd ever put Transit seats in anything. I've been looking for something to replace them with in the Transit (2018) since they're so uncomfortable (way too narrow and squeeze my ribs) . There again, I'm a bit bigger than you. I guess the key here is to find a seat that is confortable for you, then make it fit.

Probably the most comfortable seats I had were from a 1969 Mustang. I used them (the actuall same seats) in four different cars over 22 years. Unfortunetly, they went away when I sold the last one in '97, an '82 Toyota.
    Last edited by bensherb; 05-12-2020, 12:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Topper2011
    replied
    I'm in the process of installing some free Craigslist seats from a Transit Connect. For me, I know they offer all day comfort as I own a Transit Connect. Having driven it all the way to New York from California without a sore behind was good enough for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3310835.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1833708

I only had to drill two additional holes to mount the seat and measured height was the same as the original seats.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    I'm putting a set of GTO seats in an Avanti. Of course they will be reupholstered to tie into the factory pleated "look". Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1833637

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    These are the Pontiac 2007 G6 seats I put in my 74 Avanti. As Gary said above, there is a lot more steel and reinforcement under there to keep them, and me, in place. You can do the same with the Daytona and have much better comfort and a bit better safety. Just find a set of seats you like. Eventually, I'll probably get them recovered but for now they are what they are.

Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti g6 seats.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1833633

Leave a comment:

• JayBird
    replied
    The 2008 and up Sebring convertibles have a smaller integrated shoulder belt which works well for hard top models as there is no B pillar to anchor the shoulder belt. The earlier Sebring seats stick up higher and just look ugly IMO. The other option is a set of Dodge high back truck seats mid 90's they also have a built in seat belt system but I don't think they would look as good as the Sebring seats.
    Last edited by JayBird; 05-03-2020, 05:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 62champ
    replied
    These are a set of factory headrests in two '64s - Studebaker friend in PA puts them in just about everything he restores - like the cars in the photo. Not sure that they were really meant for safety as much as they were for "comfort."

'64 Cruiser

'64 Daytona HT

Last edited by 62champ; 05-03-2020, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by ronpasquale View Post
    All the above is great advice, but I'll add that '64's had head rests as an option, so the seats may already be set up to accept NOS ones if you can find them. Around late 1961 my dad bought a pair of head rests from the parts department at Freeman-Spicer and fit them into a '60 Lark wagon we had. Fortunately, they never got tested.
    They were great as head rests, but I would not trust them to work adequately as head restraints. I have been in more than one accident where I was hit hard from the rear. There was a big difference in my outcome from modern cars with head restraints than with older cars.

Leave a comment:

• ronpasquale
    replied
    All the above is great advice, but I'll add that '64's had head rests as an option, so the seats may already be set up to accept NOS ones if you can find them. Around late 1961 my dad bought a pair of head rests from the parts department at Freeman-Spicer and fit them into a '60 Lark wagon we had. Fortunately, they never got tested.

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Many people have used the Chrysler Sebring seats from a convertible, that have the built in three point belts. You do not need this if you are already going another way to get three point belts.

I do not believe that your original seats are anywhere near strong enough to support an effective head restraint.

I would look for a late model mid to standard (not full) size car for seats. Look for something that is comfortable for you and look appropriate to your car, including colors. Like RadioRoy's Accord, I like my 2001 Acura CL coupe's seats. Since you sit lower in most new cars, you may need to put spacers under the mounts.

EDIT: As you can see, Bob and I were "typing" at the same time. At least we agreed.

Leave a comment:

• sweetolbob
    replied
    Some folks have used the seats out of Sebring Convertibles as they incorporate the seat belts into the seat. You'll need to be sure they are well anchored. If you have a set of three point belts already, like I did, you can use about any seat front seats from newer full size and mid size sedans.

Wander around the used car lots or wrecking yards looking for the most comfortable seats you can find.

As an aside, look at the mounting points on the seats. Any of them can be made to work but if they have decent front mounts it makes the job easier. If you also choose seats with controls mounted on the seats, you can have power adjustment, lumbar and also heating and cooling if you chose wisely.

Bob

Leave a comment:

Working...
X