Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 Studebaker Lark Adult Sized Pedal Car on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHlHEyLqaSY
    It was made from a real Lark, sounds like it was a built from a totaled shell. Wild!

The owner quickly mentions something about something "Electric" like everyone knows what he is talking about, wheels on ONE side I think. I don't think he is Peddling!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      The owner quickly mentions something about something "Electric" like everyone knows what he is talking about, wheels on ONE side I think. I don't think he is Peddling!
      It looks to me like he is pedaling. Perhaps, in addition to the electric.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It looks like it was made from a 1959, except the left rear quarter and tail light appear to be from a 1960.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Here's some other videos he has on the car.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7s...ery=Studebaker
          ​​​​

Comment

For more info go to this website. About 7 pages spelling out the process of putting this together. Yes, there is one wheel powered by an electric device and the other by chain from pedals.

https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index....al-car.110259/
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

When I was looking at the first video I saw, just for an instant, the ashtabula (1-piece) crank like you see on only the cheapest bikes. I couldn't understand why he'd use the heaviest one available when 3-piece aluminum cranks are so plentiful and cheap and have a lot more options. Then I saw the next video which shows how he finally got the cranks to work and it alllllll made sense. He's welded up 3 bottom brackets together and to his steel frame. A lot tougher to do if you're trying to mix steel and aluminum and span it across three of them. He put a TON of work into this thing. I would love, love, love, to take it for a spin.

Comment

I wouldn't want to be on a public road in it, as he was.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Funny...because I don't recall seeing any moving traffic while he was rumbling through his neighborhood in that cobbled contraption! It makes me think no one wanted to be on the street, at the same time, with that thing either! None the less...I enjoy seeing other people using their imagination and skills to do innovative things...regardless of how dysfunctional it appears to the less curious.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

In the thread that JRoberts posted a link to there is a video of a 1986 Buick Regal 4 person pedal car. They took it on the street, got pulled over and had to have it towed back home.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSwig1tgUtY

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Just go to Tucson, or certain areas of Phoenix.

There lots of roads there where you'll see golf carts being driven from residences the short distance to the golf course.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Just go to Tucson, or certain areas of Phoenix.

There lots of roads there where you'll see golf carts being driven from residences the short distance to the golf course.

Craig
                        Come to Minnesota, and you will see side-by-side all-terrain utility vehicles nearly all over the place. County road shoulders, city streets, highway ditches, etc. I find them very annoying as they severely rut-up the wet ditches and they raise a lot of dust when they drive at high-speed on the gravel shoulders of paved roads. Thanks to the money and clout of the ATV manufacturers and ATV club lobbyists, this problem will not be going away. Looks like I took the original topic off course, sorry, I felt like venting.
                        As for the pedal car, I like it! I would call the electric powered wheel to be 'power assist' propulsion. Gives me ideas for modifying a rusty 4-door Lark sedan.
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

There are quite a few of these cycle karts being built. People design their own body. Old stude body parts would work here also.

Comment

Working...
                          X