Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk owner needs help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk owner needs help!!

Over 25 years ago, my father and I purchased 57H-K7 2190 in perfect, original condition. At that time she only had 22K on the odometer and other then a respray of the Tiara Gold (Artic White Coves were untouched) and the addition of electric fuel pump, radial wide whites she is bone stock original including the interior. We have been members of SDC since I can remember and would show our cars (I had a '82 Avanti II -cover car of Turning Wheels) together at local gatherings. Unfortunately, Dad passed away 10 years ago but I still have the GH, since it reminds me him when I sit in the front seat. Fast forward to 8 months ago, when the landlord of my warehouse where I keep my car collection decided to have the building roofs resurfaced. Unfortunately, when the roofing contractor had removed most of the roofs membrane, a thunderstorm hit and I saw my collector cars, including the GH drenched in toxic, disgusting roof water. The roofer took full responsibility and their insurance carrier is taking care of the claims. So far, my '93 Corvette 40th Anniversary Conv. was declared a total loss and my '70 Ford Mustang Conv. Cobra Jet (1 of 15) was given a new interior and paint correction. Both cars had their tops down during the deluge and unfortunately the Studebaker GH took the brunt of most of the water damage, since the windows were all open and hood was up. The insurance adjuster has visited the warehouse, and being a car guy he knows the value of originality. Further, I did my best to mitigate the damages. So this is where I need the help of the SDC forum, since I don't know who to contact on the GH to get it back to it's former glory. As I stated, the car was the poster car of originality and I want to keep it that way. At this point, mold has taken it's toll on the stainless, the incredible white and black original interior is now an awful shade of yellow while the original engine compartment is covered in mold as well. The engine turns but does not start although the radio still works, but I need a Studebaker Advocate to come out and give me an estimate to present to the insurance adjuster. Once I have a settlement check, I intend to use the funds for the preservation. The Corvette and Mustang was not a problem, but finding someone in the area that is familiar with Studebaker Golden Hawks and preserving this 28K mile gems originality has been a nightmare. The original papers, including owners manual and build sheet were safe in my home so that's a silver lining in this cloud I can post pic's at a later time, but this matter has really taken it's toll on me, since my business offices are also in the warehouse as well. I am so sorry to vent my woe's especially during the COVID-19 pandemic and I am grateful that my family and are safe and healthy. With that said, can someone on the SDC forum provide suggestions on how to proceed. You can either PM me, post under this topic or email me at markleighhummel@gmail.com. Everyone, please stay safe and I look forward to your assistance.

Suggest you PM Ross Miller (handle is Ross on this forum). He is very familiar with Studes, and could do a lot of the work at is shop. He is located off I-83 in Md just south of the Penna border.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
      Suggest you PM Ross Miller (handle is Ross on this forum). He is very familiar with Studes, and could do a lot of the work at is shop. He is located off I-83 in Md just south of the Penna border.
      Skip,
      Many thanks for the reply. BTW, I forgot to mention, my location is Owings Mills, MD 21117, although the GH is in my warehouse in Baltimore, MD. I sure do miss the Studebaker Swap Meets in March @ York......those were the days. Stay safe.
      Mark

Comment

There are several Studebaker Vendors at:
        https://studebakervendors.com

that could help, and also in the on-line Copy of the Latest "Turning Wheels". Lots of Parts Vendors but very few Repair Shops.

One that is not close, but is totally capable of doing a CORRECT Restoration, would be Mike Myer at Myer's Studebaker in Southern Ohio.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 05-01-2020, 01:22 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

René Harger at Southeast Studebaker can provide new interior panels and upholstery covers, as close to factory as you will ever find.
          Anticipate $3200-$3500 and several months wait.
          alpha-omegaclothingco.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, alpha-omegaclothingco.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

All the stainless should clean up, just a matter of labor. Many shops specialize in polishing stainless, especially chrome plating shops.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I guess you accidently posted in "cars for sale/cars found" before posting here. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ner-needs-help

I think Jack's response in that other thread is something you need to look at carefully. My first thought when reading through your first post was that this car is a total loss. Here's why. As Jack mentioned, it will NEVER again be the survivor that it was. Yes, everything can be fixed at a cost. But then it isn't really original. It is restored. I realize Studebaker survivors may not carry the same allure as some other brands, and that there aren't as many buyers for untouched, unmodified survivor type cars. But, how many 57 Golden Hawks are out there that are as close to survivor status as this car.

Your car; your choice. I would probably be pressing for a total, and look around for another one to replace it. Then, the negotiations begin on what it is really worth. I assume you have a classic car policy on this car. Hopefully you have it insured for enough that you could replace it. Yes, I realize YOUR insurance doesn't come into play here; at least not directly. However, what you have it insured for would be an indicator of its value as it was; not its value once it is restored. In the muscle car world, true survivors bring considerably more than most restored cars. Of course, to most of those buyers, any repaint negates any claim of survivor status.

Sorry for rambling. Just thinking and typing at the same time. Hell, may even be typing before thinking.

Comment

Sorry this happened. The car was already repainted so repainting again won't change the originality or value from before the damage. Stainless can be polished and still be original. The only issue is the interior which is a real shame if it was perfect original.

Comment

I looked up the other thread and saw Jack Vines comments. I think they are spot on. Also what Lynn and Jeff said in the other posts. This is so sad and a tough decision to be made. What makes this especially hard is the family factor of your Dad and you and the car.

So, bad to the original quest for help: Who in the Maryland area can offer this help, or who will be willing to travel to Maryland to help? As stated in post 1:The engine turns but does not start although the radio still works, but I need a Studebaker Advocate to come out and give me an estimate to present to the insurance adjuster. Once I have a settlement check, I intend to use the funds for the preservation. So if someone can offer an assessment so Mark can proceed or make a tough decision for a total loss and look for another pristine car. They are still out there.

Bob Miles

Comment

Mark,

I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am that this happened. I also agree with you that you need an advocate to help you mitigate the damage. I disagree that settling for anything less then making an effort to maintain the car's originality is inappropriate. I own several original low mileage cars similar to your car. The condition, and related story of which, set them apart from even my restored cars. I have little doubt that what it will cost to try to bring your car back is going to be more then to purchase perfectly restored car. Assuming that you can even find one. You indicate that the roofer is taking full responsibility for the damage and that their insurance company is taking care of it. This frightens me because the insurance company is not your friend, they will try to get you to settle for less then the cost of full mitigation. Please refrain from signing anything saying that you accept a settlement before the process is completed to your satisfaction. The process of any restoration is a marathon, nobody is going to be able to give you a figure, and say this is what it's going to cost.

If it were me I would file a claim with my insurance company. I hope that you insure through a reputable antique car insurer, and that your agreed value is high enough for your insurance company to want to go to battle. The worst case scenario is that this will end up in court. You really want your insurance company to be your advocate at trial. You want them to use their resources, so you're not on the hook for court costs.

Somewhat ironically I recently posed a question about valuation on one of my original cars, recently on the AACA's Buick Riviera forum. A 1965 Riviera had sold at auction for some outrageous price (something like $125,000). I was also seeing other restored cars trading for as much as $65,000. My car is an all original 22,000 mile car and is in similar to the condition yours was in. I usually couldn't care less what my cars are worth, cause I almost never sell, but now I'm confronted with a situation where my car is, by any measure, undervalued for insurance purposes. For a number of reasons, not the least of which is lack of detailed photos, the value is still to be determined. Your plight has just added a new level of urgency to my own situation.

Bill
                  Last edited by Hallabutt; 05-02-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

What I posted on the other thread/topic, yesterday.

"I see the cost of having it restored as exceeding its before damage value. I would use a number 2 book value and have the insurance company pay you that amount if you can keep the car (or buy it back at salvage price). You can get an as-new interior kit from Southeast Studebaker LLC. The rest sounds like mostly cleaning and repainting.

The number that you posted is the body number (doesn't mean much). The Serial Number is on the A-pillar and on the production order. Some states used the engine number as an ID in those days (my '57 GH was PS3000)."
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary,

The car is an emotional connection with his Father and his youth, He wants to feel the same seat material under his butt, as his father sat on decades ago. I get it, at least I hope I do. If I'm wrong I hope he will correct me. As irrational as it might seem, I like what he's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn View Post
                        I guess you accidently posted in "cars for sale/cars found" before posting here. https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....ner-needs-help

I think Jack's response in that other thread is something you need to look at carefully. My first thought when reading through your first post was that this car is a total loss. Here's why. As Jack mentioned, it will NEVER again be the survivor that it was. Yes, everything can be fixed at a cost. But then it isn't really original. It is restored. I realize Studebaker survivors may not carry the same allure as some other brands, and that there aren't as many buyers for untouched, unmodified survivor type cars. But, how many 57 Golden Hawks are out there that are as close to survivor status as this car.

Your car; your choice. I would probably be pressing for a total, and look around for another one to replace it. Then, the negotiations begin on what it is really worth. I assume you have a classic car policy on this car. Hopefully you have it insured for enough that you could replace it. Yes, I realize YOUR insurance doesn't come into play here; at least not directly. However, what you have it insured for would be an indicator of its value as it was; not its value once it is restored. In the muscle car world, true survivors bring considerably more than most restored cars. Of course, to most of those buyers, any repaint negates any claim of survivor status.

Sorry for rambling. Just thinking and typing at the same time. Hell, may even be typing before thinking.
                        Please don't apologize......all valid and my point is that a car is only original once but can be restored a thousand times. This '57 Studebaker GH is a time capsule. Had even planned on lending it to the Studebaker Museum for view as to what a unmolested original Golden Hawk should look like. When I see ground up restorations on Golden Hawks and can't believe how many mistakes were made to originality. An example is the trunk and inside trunk lid is supposed to be primer gray, not the color of the car.....may look pretty, but not correct. One of the reasons my '93 Corvette 40th Anniversay Convertible was declared a total loss was that it had only 18K original miles, although the electronics exposed to the roof water was huge factor. The fact that here lies a '57 Studebaker Golden Hawk with only 28K miles and pretty much original, never taken apart. Actually, for the past 30 years the car has never seen rain and only stored in a climate controlled facility. Maybe from my perspective, the damages are not that bad, but it needs to be handled by a knowledgeable Studebaker professional who understands the significance of this car. I remember seeing a post a while ago of the SDC forum regarding a completely original '57 Hawk at one of the Nationals. Some of the true purest noticed that there was some resprayed areas of the car. So as I stated previously, this car, to the best of my knowledge, had a respray of the body (the fins where untouched). I even found a factory Studebaker tag under the carpeting. Other changes to originality were electric fuel pump and of course wide white radial tires.......the original spare is still in the trunk.

Although insured with Grundy for "agreed value" if the car was preserved properly I would still be looking for diminished value for the fact of losing it's originality............how many 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawks with 28K exist, prior to the water damage, even exist. I have not placed this car on the Studebaker GH registry because it's for '56 and '58' but no 57's. Maybe someone can help me out on this. I would hate to go thru my carrier since this was total negligence on the roofer, and they have done some major projects in the Baltimore Metro area. My '70 Mustang Convertible CJ was rare, but was previously restored, so new carpets, seat covers, dash pad, etc. was not a concern as much as this Hawk.

Again, I am grate full for everyone's thoughts and suggestions as they are much appreciated. Please keep them coming and I promise to post pic's soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                          Gary,

The car is an emotional connection with his Father and his youth, He wants to feel the same seat material under his butt, as his father sat on decades ago. I get it, at least I hope I do. If I'm wrong I hope he will correct me. As irrational as it might seem, I like what he's doing.
                          Gary........many thanks for the post and glad you understand. It's not irrational at all.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            What I posted on the other thread/topic, yesterday.

The number that you posted is the body number (doesn't mean much). The Serial Number is on the A-pillar and on the production order. Some states used the engine number as an ID in those days (my '57 GH was PS3000)."
                            Serial No. 6102232

Body No. 2190

Factory Order No. 37730

Line No. 1122

Engine No. PS-3286

Comment

Originally posted by markrubyred View Post

Serial No. 6102232

Body No. 2190

Factory Order No. 37730

Line No. 1122

Engine No. PS-3286

Thanks. Your Hawk is about dead center/midway through the production of 1957 Golden Hawks (based on S/N).
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X