Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a good Studebaker research site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a good Studebaker research site?

Just curious. I see a lot of different models. Silver Hawks, Golden Hawks, Power Hawks, Flight Hawks. Then I see Starlights and Starliners. Commanders, Champions, Speedsters, Presidents, etc. Sometimes some of the names are combined. I would just like to be able to see what cars are the same, but maybe with different options, etc. The names still confuse me a lot, and I'd like to learn more.

Even though I am familiar with most of the models I found the book "Studebaker Cars" by James Moloney,published by Crestline Books,very helpful as a reference. It does not give a lot of specifications but it has pictures of all the models from the beginning of production to the end with a short description of how many produced etc. it is in black and white.

Frank van Doorn
    1962 GT Hawk 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Conv
    1941 Champion R-2 Rod
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Not to put too fine a point to it, but you are there.

Up at the top of this page, see the Your Studebaker Forum? click on that, then click on Members' Studes. There are four pages of Studebakers, many of not most of them have their model designation. Then come back here and ask what questions come to mind.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Avatar1.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe (since 1959)
      '55 President (6H Y6) State Sedan
      (Under Construction 564 hrs.)
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All Indiana built cars

Comment

Once you cover everything on the SDC site,
        you will be a Stude. Dude.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

I was more interested in what the names mean. For example, I see Starlight, and Starliner. Are they the same thing? I see both of those names attached to Commanders and Champions. I can tell the diffrerence between the Commanders and Champions, but what does Starlight or Starliner mean when it is attached to either?

Also, I know many of the differences between Silver Hawks and Golden Hawks, but what about FLight Hawks and Power Hawks? I'm not sure if just looking at pictures will explain all of the differences, as I'm assuming many of the names have to do with options, packages, performance, etc.

Comment

just type in the names and search if
            you don't want to go through sdc, but
            you will find all the answers on sdc.

Tex E. Grier

Comment

quote:I was more interested in what the names mean. For example, I see Starlight, and Starliner. Are they the same thing? I see both of those names attached to Commanders and Champions. I can tell the diffrerence between the Commanders and Champions, but what does Starlight or Starliner mean when it is attached to either?
              Starlights are coupes and Starliners are hardtops, except in 58 when the hardtops were called Starlights.

They can be Champions, Commanders or Presidents.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

[Starlight is a coupe, Starliner is a Hardtop,either could be a Champion or Commander. Speedsters were 55 President Hardtops with fancy trim, sporty dash an leather interior.

Golden Hawks were he top of the line finned 56-58 hardtops, with a Packard engine in 56, supercharged Stude 289 in 57-58. 56 Sky Hawk was a 289 hard hardtop without fins. Power Hawk was a 259 coupe, Flight Hawk was six cylinder coupe. 56 The 57-61 Silver Hawks were coupes, with either a six/V8 on early models, V8 only later. There a lot more to say,but I don.t have time to post it all.

JDP/Maryland
                Please vote for Sid (64GT)in the NYT contest.
                http://collectiblecars.nytimes.com/Contest/
                JDP Maryland

Comment

here's another online "picture book" to get you started

http://www.blacksunlight.com/studebaker/toc.html

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Jerry: Here's a pretty easy way to remember what you are trying to sort out:

Starliners, Starlights, sedans, hardtops, convertibles, etc, refer to a car's body.

Champions, Commanders, Presidents, et al, refer to a car's chassis.

There are limitations because not all bodies were always offered on all chassis, but, generally speaking, you can combine a Body Style from Line One with a Chassis from Line Two and come up with various accurate Studebaker models, such as President Sedan, Champion Convertible, Commander Starlight, etc.

It gets a little more complicated when you introduce the idea of Hawks and Larks, so as soon as you've absorbed Lesson One, here, come back after lunch for the afternoon class. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Whew!!! Thanks for lesson #1.

I noticed the work "Regal" thrown into a few names too. lol

Comment

quote:Originally posted by jeryst

Whew!!! Thanks for lesson #1.

I noticed the work "Regal" thrown into a few names too. lol
                        Regal, DeLuxe, Custom, etc, will further describe the trim level (high-intermediate-low) of the body, Jerry.

Again, we can only talk generalities because there are many exceptions, but you might have a Commander Regal Starliner or a Champion Custom Sedan or a President DeLuxe Starlight. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                        X