Can't we all just get along? Revised.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    First of all and directly to the point here, modifications have never been an issue to me. Some of the work involved is simply amazing, and even though I prefer originality, I respect the craftsmanship many put in to their non-original cars. Plus, ten years from now, it's likely going to be the only way basket cases will be brought back to functionality. Plus, people today demand creature comforts.

As far as the Facebook Page, I had a brief romance with it until I found out it too is moderated. Possibly, even more aggressively than this Forum. All it took to find this out was a brief post about my displeasure with how the Body Plant was used in the Spring of 2019. I won't go any further than that with details.

I have since deactivated my entire Facebook account. I got sick of the whole mess. And, I strongly disagree with Facebook Management.

I don't use any "social media", including this Forum, as much as I used to. Maybe it's my advancing age. Maybe it's wisdom gained the hard way. People get under other people's skin so quickly when they type it out rather than talk it out in person. I actually liked some people I can't stand now in the old days. I miss the old days.

Leave a comment:

• t walgamuth
    replied
    yes!..........

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    You have a point. If it came down to crush it, or put a bowtie in it - I'd vote bowtie, because it can always be changed later.

Leave a comment:

• tsenecal
    replied
    My first vehicle was a 52 ford pickup, so naturally I was a "ford" guy. I used to cringe when I would walk up to a nice ford at a car show and see a SBC in it. That is not the case anymore. Many times it was done because that was what they had, or could afford. chev 350 with 350 auto, used to be very plentiful, and inexpensive, and people on a budget would use them in their build. At least they were getting the build done, and back on the road, instead of rusting away in a field or backyard, so I gave them credit for that, and looked past the mismatched components. Now I kind of hate to see a brand X in a Stude, but it still is the owners personal choice.

Leave a comment:

• Andy R.
    replied
    There's room for everyone and every car. No need to get uptight about anything being too original or too modified. Our numbers are so small in the grand scheme of things that all should be welcome and feel encouraged.

Dick Stienkamp's S2D 327/4sp. or a Carrera Panamerica car are just as wonderful as the stunning '53 Champion Starliner I saw at Mansfield.

Whether I see a concours Studebaker or a Hot Wheels Legends custom roadster built off a '57 Stude with GT gauges I respect that somebody is intervening in its entropy.

@1:10 mark if you're curious...
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/hot-...-jaws-detroit/

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    The reason Josephine has MoPar stuff is not because I fancy that more,(almost as much thou) it's just that I wanted to drive her sooner rather than later & to me she's not a pitoresque hobby; she's my car. But yeah, I would prefer Studebaker stuff all the way!
    Not that this matters to many...
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-02-2020, 11:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    My '66 Wagonaire was born with a small block McKinnon under the hood. I didn't complain. But I have many rodding and racing friends who think a 350 is the ONLY thing to use for power. I reply that they lack imagination, guts, and respect for tradition. If you want to put a Bowtie motor under the hood, be my guest. They deserve to be called bellybutton motors. I was attracted to Studebaker because I didn't want to blend into the wallpaper like everyone else -so I'll be damned if I ever put a Chebby where there never was one to start. That's just me, I can't do it.

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Ron'
    It's a case of mainstream brainwashing. For fifty years after the development of the SBC we heard the word modern attached to it. Really, for fifty years! It's claim to fame was that it was compact and cheap. It wasn't measurable any better then many of it's contemporaries, but it sure had longevity because people continued to buy it, and it was cheap. The LS iteration has finally supplanted it in the minds of the street rodders, but still not modern. I don't know how many times I've seen a perfectly serviceable Studebaker V8's replaced by a SBCs. When asked why, answers ran from power, reliability to more modern. I even had a friend indicate that he was going to do it to make his car more acceptable to the street rod crowd. I always suspected as much, but he was the first person I knew who was honest enough to say it. So like the flat head before it, the cast iron SBC has become a dynasore, so now what.

I have nothing against SBCs. I have two of them in my stable. One a 1967 Camaro that I've owned since 1969 when I paid $400 for it with a blown engine. I put a used 283 in it and drove it for another 125K miles. But a blown engine at 50K miles! The other in a 1976 Jaguar XJ12C with a wiped cam lobe and warn valve clearances. I honestly could care less whether someone wants to put a SBC in any car, but please don't insult me by telling me it's because they are better or more reliable, because I know better. People do what they want because they feel like it, and because they can.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    I must admit to being an incurable curmudgeon, somewhat of a purist, and rather inflexible. I can appreciate a custom car, however find it annoying when someone only keeps the sheet metal and everything else is brand-X. Understanding escapes me as to why someone wouldn't just stick with Brand-X in the first place. I have learned (except for just a few lapses) to just keep quiet.

As for the Facebook group, I found my presence wasn't really helpful to them or me.

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    At least trying to make a bad person good is worth while!

Leave a comment:

• Chris Pile
    replied
    Was always irritated by a club member who.....
    We had a guy (long dead) who loudly and obnoxiously would tell anyone that if ONE THING was changed from stock, IT WAS NO LONGER A STUDEBAKER! He ran off a lot of potential members at car shows. I finally had it one day, and took him aside... "You are welcome to your opinion, but if you open your yap and run off one more potential member, I will punch you right in the nose in front of God and everybody!". And I meant it. He knew I meant it, too - because he never did it again.

Sometimes it takes not being nice to get a person to change. I was willing to do that.

Leave a comment:

• daytonadave
    replied
    That owner should have been around in 1970's. I showed up in my Modded Daytona and the CASCO people gasped. What have you done? I repainted it a non-factory color, too. Don't even think about Car Judging these cars back then.Click image for larger version

Name:	50.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1833179

Leave a comment:

• Hallabutt
    replied
    Brad, very nicely stated. I usually just refer to the character of Facebook as chaotic. This site has been winnowed down to us old timers (with exceptions). For the most part this site is populated by knowledgeable reliable people. If what an owner is looking for is substance and orderliness, this is the obvious place to be. I'm not saying that substance doesn't exist on Facebook, but I simply can't understand how anyone can wade through all of the worthless crap to get there. Just another way of putting what Brad said. When I visit Facebook I usually exit either laughing or shaking my head. So many of the mistakes being made today, are the same mistakes I made sixty yeas ago.

If anyone is trying to find and agreement on car related subjects, or anything for that matter, they should just start talking to themselves in the mirror. Everybody has an opinion, willingness to share is somewhat akin to willingness to learn.

Leave a comment:

• yeti
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    If you can't identify the carnival barkers and grifters, don't attend the fair.
    I find much of Facebook stimulating, as well as informative.
    Much of what it informs me is how gullible many people are, how knowledgeable many people BELIEVE themselves to be, and how informed people must be relied upon to discern the difference.
    Like it or not, Zuckerberg's damnable Pandora's Box has thrown all of our trained assumptions against the wall, to see what will stick.
    I agree. I just couldn't deal with all the sadfishing and pretentiousness that goes on there. Also, you clearly have more patience than I do.

While what you say about people can happen on any Internet forum, the good part of using independent and special interest forums (like the SDC for instance) is that our online lives are not being harvested for profit and our minds/actions are not being influenced to maximize their ad revenues (among other things).

Leave a comment:

• Noxnabaker
    replied
    Jack's post #12: I'm the last kind.
    Last edited by Noxnabaker; 05-02-2020, 11:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X