Can't we all just get along? Revised.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't we all just get along? Revised.

It is not only on this forum. Here is a quote from the Studebaker Addicts Facebook page. (Not my words)

"Here’s the deal, I joined this site to enjoy and share Studebaker talk, not to listen to a bunch of bickering. I learn all i can from every element of the Studebaker Community, and i like all of the cars - original and modded. My 1950 is mechanically and for the most part restored to physically original (paint color, interior). But...i did make it my own by changing the wheel covers, adding a small, tasteful amount of pinstripe and my own hand-moulded visor, nothing that can’t be undone... You know its a Stude coming down the road, but it is in its own way it is uniquely mine. That’s what makes me happy. I have a great deal of respect for the restorers of factory original & show quality cars. But i also find the engineering of the folks who modify their cars fascinating. Both are craftsmen in their own realm. So I’m having a hard time understanding the bickering going on here, and beyond this posting, am not going to waste my time or my car on this site."

I share the above because I have seen posts on this forum saying someone is leaving the forum for Facebook because people here are intolerant of modified cars. Seems there may be some intolerance on FB as well. Some one famous once said "Your car, your money, your decision."
    Last edited by ddub; 04-29-2020, 09:08 AM.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

I am sorry to hear that. Yes, we can and should get along.

In every organization, there is always a small percentage of **** disturbers and rule breakers. It is how you react to the **** disturbers that makes the difference. Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, and ban them from further discussions if required.

If you are insulted, it should be like water off the duck, as long as you are not throwing unnecessary insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I would like to think that all topics should be fodder for an interesting discussion. (including politics and religion) Unfortunately, there are a few persons that make these topics forbidden, and I understand why, and I totally understand why some people's off-handed comments may need to be censored.

Respect is expected and required.

(original post by ddub modified)
    Last edited by 55s; 05-01-2020, 06:56 PM. Reason: Last sentence added

Comment

Well Don, I am sure Glad it refers to Facebook Studebaker Addicts and NOT here, because all that bickering that I HEAR caused a New Studebaker Page to be created for the Modified crowd , doesn't happen here anymore, we got over that and MAYBE those are the ones who left here!

When you consider all the GOOD that is accomplished here, against a few Posts by a few who have differing opinions now and then, than others; it is NOTHING!

Sorry to see you go Don, Please seriously reconsider that thought. I do not believe any of your Cars are heavily Modified, so you should not have a problem HERE.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 04-28-2020, 09:46 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Good thoughts! I never noticed any complain about my Josephine & I haven't noticed much complains about original o not, mostly I've seen bickering about other interests thou, but it aint much & this is a nice place to spend time!
        This is where that picture-that-refuses-to-get-in-here would be...

Comment

I've always tried to abide by "Your car, your taste, your money" when looking at anyone's vehicle. Sometimes I see something that I might consider ghastly. But, I try to limit my comments to " I don't think that I would have done it exactly that way".
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

I agree with you about getting along, HOWEVER I DON'T agree with you on quitting !!!! You said you joined TO ENJOY !! Do just that, and don't let a small few ruin your fun. A wise old man told me "when I was a teenager" what do do about people that "bicker, asvyou put it" : CONSIDER THE SOURCE FROM WHENCE IT CAME AND IGNORE IT "

Comment

Was always irritated by a club member who, at car shows, would get irritated when people got too close to his car. He even yelled at a women when her three year old touched the fender with his hand - he told her that would ruin the paint. But I would have never told him he was not allowed to participate.

On the other hand, have a good Studebaker friend who encourages kids to climb up in the third seat of his '64 wagon by using the fold down step so their parents can take their photo.

Takes all kinds - everyone is welcome, regardless - those who are rude/offensive will soon grow tired and move on when no one strikes at their bait.

Comment

Mr. D.

I seems that it should be easy enough to just skip past posts that you feel are not to your standards...I do. Don't let the small things in life bother you. That way, people are free to post, sometimes mildly offensive (I've seen nothing that bad) and others are free to not read them.

In adapting this thought, you can still gain bits of knowledge that you can use for your own knowledge base.
                If...I guess you are still around to read this..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                  I am sorry to hear that. Yes, we can and should get along.

In every organization, there is always a small percentage of **** disturbers and rule breakers. It is how you react to the **** disturbers that makes the difference. Ignore, Ignore, Ignore, and ban them from further discussions if required.

If you are insulted, it should be like water off the duck, as long as you are not throwing unnecessary insults. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I would like to think that all topics should be fodder for an interesting discussion. (including politics and religion) Unfortunately, there are a few persons that make these topics forbidden, and I understand why, and I totally understand why some people's off-handed comments may need to be censored.

Respect is expected and required.
                  I agree fully with 55s. These people are trolls, pure and simple, wanting to stir things up. As 55s says, ignore them. Unfortunately, when someone posts that they are leaving and never coming back, this just feeds and emboldens the trolls.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

If I read the post correctly, I don't think ddub is thinking of leaving the group... to me, it appears he is quoting a post from another forum, and forgot the "quote marks."

He can correct me if I'm wrong.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

I always interact with people in person with the knowledge of how much it hurts to be punched in the face. When interacting on car forums I try to maintain the same attitude.

If everyone did the same we'd have no problem.
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

There are differing degrees of sensitivity everywhere, including car shows. Some refuse to show their cars because they're hypersensitive to any comments. Others like to stand beside their car, note the erroneous comments from passersby and later make fun of them. Others love to show their cars because their ego gets stroked by the positive comments. Some just park their car and walk away to look at everyone else's.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

My comment to the initial post on Facebook was, there will always be at least one person who will rub someone the wrong way.
                          To abandon everyone because of that one person, is only going to hurt everyone.
                          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10,
                          '51 Commander Starlight,
                          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Hey, I'm kinda new here. So far I haven't had anyone get nasty with me. Honestly, everyone has been most helpful. I have read where some "purists" have said that they hoped so and so didn't use screws or pop rivets to put a GT trunk overlay on their car. Well I'm sorry, that's what I intend to do. My hawk is not a GT but I need something to cover rust spots. I'm not building a show car but a daily driver that will draw attention on the road. I paid $4250 for my hawk 3 years ago and I now have nearly 10 grand in it and haven't got it painted yet. The only thing I "hired" to have done was the headliner. The rest has been by me and my grandson who I have willed the car to. I'll leave the trailer queens to take the prizes at the car shows. I will enjoy driving mine.
                            Yogi, (slightly smarter than the average bear)
                            '60 Hawk

Comment

As I've tried to live my life by the words of someone, who many say was the greatest mind in America;

"Every man I meet in the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
                              -R.Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                              X