55 Commander air filter color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 Commander air filter color

Looking for ideas thoughts, the air filter for the 55 Commander sedan that I am restoring is a three part oil bath filter. A previous owner had spray painted all three parts with silver paint. I'm wanting to restore as close as possible to like new condition. With stripper and naval jelly I have cleaned the ss filter element. It looks pretty good except the 65 year old filter media is not really meant to be replaced but I'm thinking that I can cut the round screen mesh, get access to the old filter media and replace it with "something ". Ideas?
    Next the steel air duct/chamber should be hot tanked to clean out the black carbon coating. Then paint it and the base with some near the original color. Eastwood Silver Cad?
    thanks
    Merwin Harstad

I don't really think of that Color as Silver/ Cad. it is a Gloss Silver/Grey, we MAY be on the same page here but not sure. Basically I am trying to say, NOT Bright Aluminum Silver, a bit less.
    The Valve Covers and Oil Cap should match.

There is a really GOOD Post here a few days ago, probably by Joe Hall, that explains how to convert your Air Cleaner to a much easier to Maintain Dry, Cellulose replaceable Filter.

UPDATE: FOUND IT! I used a "Search" for Oil Bath Air Cleaner and got it!

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....th-air-cleaner

We are IN this TOGETHER! ... It takes a Village!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 04-26-2020, 11:15 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If the car has a 259 with 4 barrel and dual exhaust, the air cleaner, valve covers,and oil filler cap should be painted gold.

JT

Comment

In 1955 there were Pacesetter 224's, Bearcat 2 brl. 259's, Wildcat 4 Brl. 259's and Passmaster 259's, but, ONLY Presidents had Passmasters with Gold Engine Trim Paint, a 4 brl. Carb. Dual Exhausts, a tweak more HP than Commanders and a "P" (President) Serial Number, not a V like all the rest that had Silver/Grey Trim.
        StudeRich
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

What Rich said about the color. I guess that I couldn't change your mind about keeping and maintaining the oil bath, when you mentioned it on Facebook. So I guess a guy has got to do what he's already talked himself into doing. Just extra work with nothing gained, so go for it.

Comment

My concern is that with all the combustion air traveling through this 65 year old media, it might be breaking down and traveling through the engine. Couldn't prove it but it was a thought and was just wondering if others had thought about it or had addressed the issue. I'll post a couple pictures of what it looked like in the morning then in the afternoon. As for the Eastwood silver cad paint. Its pretty impressive. Google it.

Comment

Originally posted by Merwin View Post
              My concern is that with all the combustion air traveling through this 65 year old media, it might be breaking down and traveling through the engine. Couldn't prove it but it was a thought and was just wondering if others had thought about it or had addressed the issue. I'll post a couple pictures of what it looked like in the morning then in the afternoon. As for the Eastwood silver cad paint. Its pretty impressive. Google it.
              Where is the oil?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The oil would be in the bottom of the air filter base (the part thatooks like a bundt cake pan) there is an oil level mark about 1 1/2" from the bottom. The filter media unit sits into the filter base and the larger piece or top section sits on top of the base and filter media section and serves as an air duct to the carburetor. The media wicks the oil and as air passes through the media the dust particles plate out onto the fibers.

Comment

The oil would be in the bottom of the air filter base (the part thatooks like a bundt cake pan) there is an oil level mark about 1 1/2" from the bottom. The filter media unit sits into the filter base and the larger piece or top section sits on top of the base and filter media section and serves as an air duct to the carburetor. The media wicks the oil and as air passes through the media the dust particles plate out onto the fibers.
                  I understand how they work. My point is that your pictures do not show any oil (that I can see).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    Where is the oil?
                    Yes, it looks quite adequately cleaned, and painted, very close to the original color.

A very excellent, and detailed, explanation!

​​​​​​​QUOTE=studegary;n1832814]
                    I understand how they work. My point is that your pictures do not show any oil (that I can see). [/QUOTE]

​​​​​​​It seems like, a pretty roundabout way of doing it, but I don't know? Gary, was that an attempt, at complimenting his work? Maybe, He could have just stated? That, like the rest of his pieces, It is yet to be installed! Although, it seems pretty unnecessary, at any point? I suppose, a quart of oil could have, also been included, in his photo?

Mark
                    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I was thinking that he was referring to before and after use, not before and after paint. Just a communication breakdown.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

My 55 Commander Conestoga, 259 2V, had silver valve covers and a black air cleaner.
                        Steve

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

53 Commander Hardtop, A/T, P/S
                        55 Commander Conestoga
                        60 Lark Regal Convertible, A/T
                        59 Lark 4 Door Parts Car
                        62 Champ 7E7, A/T
                        49 2R15 Stakebed

Comment

Originally posted by 53 Commander View Post
                          My 55 Commander Conestoga, 259 2V, had silver valve covers and a black air cleaner.
                          Just Still ANOTHER Stude. that over it's 69 Years, "someone" (even a Dealer) replaced, swapped or changed some Parts.

Not indicative of a CORRECT Original Car.

All of that Style, remote mounted either 2 Brl. with rear draft Carb. Top, or 4 Brl. from '56 to '58 had Gloss Black Paint.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 04-29-2020, 12:22 PM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I believe, the same 2 barrel oil bath air cleaners, were also used on some '53 & '54 232"s as well, but with Semigloss Black paint.

Mark
                            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

So here's what it ended up looking like. I used Eastwood's silver cad spray paint, it has a vintage look to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X