Crankshaft weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crankshaft weight

I am getting ready to list a couple NOS cranks online. I never really paid attention before I guess but after weighing them in the box I found that the commander crank, 523137, is at 80 pounds while the 259 crank is at 60 pounds. The 20 pound difference surprised me and as I age it felt more like 50 difference
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

A shorter stroke 259" crankshaft, with 5 main berrings, and 4 siamiesed connecting rod journals, should be very close, to 3/4 the weight. Of the longer stroke Commander six, with 4 main berrings and 6 individual rod berrings. Why's it such a surprise?

Mark
    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Also remember that a Six Cylinder Engine and Crankshaft is LONGER by TWO Cylinders! Probably the Largest reason for being heavier.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Also remember that a Six Cylinder Engine and Crankshaft is LONGER by TWO Cylinders! Probably the Largest reason for being heavier.
        Thanks, for the clarification, Rich! That was essentially, what I was trying to say. Although, in a little bit more of a roundabout way.

Mark
        Last edited by S2Deluxe; 04-24-2020, 05:28 PM.
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I just used a chainfall to install a 6 cylinder crank as the last time I did it I pulled some tendons in my fore arm and it took about a year to heal. Ed

Comment

Working...
          X