Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Stude of my own finally (56 Power Hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No problem to get it roadworthy as I was living in Holland at the time & had the original belgian papers, then I just imported the car to Sweden. But if it had been in Sweden it would've been impossible; I once bought a -46 Chevy truck that had been shortend after it was taken out of the registry & even thou I had the old papers they wouldn't take it back in the system due to not beeing the same length as in the papers & if I had lengthend the frame back to original length it still wouldn't have count.
    On the other hand the rules are now changed but that don't matter since it's to late. I sold the truck to a friend in Germany & he had it back on the road shortly after.

Click image for larger version

Name:	46an.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1874267
    sigpic

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Comment

• Living where I do, makes me always go “huh?” when I hear of people not being able to modifying their vehicles...
      Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

• If the truck had been shorted & also registrated like that while it was still in the system it would have been ok.
        sigpic

Josephine
        Champion V8
        4d sedan

Comment

• Well now I did it...

Comment

• The 259 in my Hawk still won’t turn over by hand, even after oiling the cylinders. I ran across someone pulling a 289 and an automatic out of a running, driving 60. I know it would take a couple years to save up enough $ to get the 259 rebuilt, but this engine was so cheap I couldn’t pass it up. Now I just gotta get it here, and figure out if it’ll bolt up to the 3/od in my car...

Comment

• Dan, this thread mentions a bolt length difference between an auto and stick.

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub....c-transmission

Comment

• Dan,

It will connect but as mentioned in the post #136, there are differences in bolt length. The other very important factor is dial indicating the bell housing. Any time you replace a bell housing, it must be dial indicated to avoid problems with shifting and preventing damage to the drivetrain

This would be a good time to do two things: check your 1956 Shop Manual and reach out to someone in the 5 Studebaker Drivers club chapter in the state. Pick which one is closest to you and ask for help. Many of us in Tucson rely on one another for mechanical advice and help.

Good Luck. If you have good brakes, you are not that far away from a spring time cruise

Bob Miles

Comment

• Some progress: I found a guy selling a running 289, so my wife and I drove to Ohio this weekend to pick it up. About 1400 miles round trip.

Comment

• Putting the engine into my vehicle was a little touchy-fortunately the seller’s neighbor had a tractor with a large boom on the back that moved it no problem. Once all that weight was in my truck, I noticed a rattling noise that I thought was stuff in the back moving around. It turned out to be that one of the gas tank straps disappeared at some point, and now the driveshaft was rubbing on the heat shielding on the tank :0
                    The trip home was uneventful other than that. Once I got home, I rented a big engine hoist and pulled the engine out of the truck.

Comment

• Now I need to get my car up on stands so I can get under it to disconnect everything, and pull the current engine out. The plan is to separate the “new” engine from its auto trans, and connect it to the 3/od I have now. I’m guessing this would be the perfect time to replace the clutch, huh?

Comment

• Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Comment

Working...
                        X