Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Stude of my own finally (56 Power Hawk)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stude of my own finally (56 Power Hawk)

My Hawk just showed up this morning! I’ve wanted a Studebaker (pretty much ANY Stude) since I was a kid, and I’m gonna be 50 this summer. I’m starting this thread to kind of keep track of what I’m doing, and most likely asking all the Pros on here 500,000 questions! Like, ...where the HECK do I start?
    Proud new owner of a 56 Power Hawk!

Years ago, when I brought a Studebaker home, the first thing everyone said was to completely wash the car by hand with a cloth and get a real feel for the body of the car. This way you will go over the surface and with your hands make a note of what needs to be done. The same thing goes with the brakes. Whoa at this point is more important than go. Now if the car was delivered running, still to know your car go over it.

It may sound crazy, but I have found merit in doing things this way.(This probably shows also I have Studebaker Fever) I have bypassed that rule a few times like when I went and picked up a car to drive home, and I am getting ready to do that again driving from Kansas to Tucson AZ. One time I picked up a 1952 Commander in Scotts Valley, CA and the next week there was an earthquake with Scotts Valley being the epicenter!

As you are going over the car, post a new topic to answer that particular question. There are many wonderful experts here to help. PLEASE DO NOT decide to tear the car apart because you want to do a total restoration. You have waited for this baby to arrive so get to know it and if you get frustrated with something, don't be afraid to walk away for a day and then get back to it when you are refreshed.

Most of all, enjoy the experience of your first Studebaker! You have an excellent choice of the first car.

Hope this helps

Best Regards,

Bob Miles

Comment

If you don't have a good history on the car, I would start with the braking system. After you know that the brakes are good, then on to the engine. Check all of the wiring, condition of belts, hoses, air filter, and change the oil and oil filter. At that point, with a good battery, it should be ready to fire up. Watch the oil pressure, and temperature, while it runs in the driveway. After a few cycles of running, test the brakes, and take it for a short test drive. It will drive differently than a new vehicle, but you will get used to it, and you may like the feel of it better than a new car. Good Luck with it. It looks like a great start.

Comment

Congratulations! As Bob indicated try to refrain from digging too deeply to fast and ask questions. Try to concentrate on one thing at a time. You might comment on what your goal is for the car, and how you hope to use it.
        Bill

Comment

Here's a good article to get you started, Dan.

http://studebakerdriversclub.com/TechThings2do.asp

First thing you should do is purchase the Body Parts Catalog and the Chassis Parts Catalog for 1956 Models, as well as the Shop Manual.
          Whether you do your own work, or pay a technician, those resources are invaluable.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Daan,

I can see from your previous thread that you had quite a discussion going on before you got your car. Now that you can evaluate your car first hand it's time to put all theoretical what if's what can's etc. aside and concentrate on what you have. Before you decide that you can't live with the original car make sure that you know what you have. Try to give us some detailed pictures and history of the car. i seem to remember the car for sale some time ago, and intrigued by the survival story, but have forgotten much of it. Please reference the original story for us.
            Bill

Comment

I must say that this is the same story as mine; all my life I also wanted a Studebaker & when my son was born I was just about to turn 50 & I had turned 51 & my son 1 when I finaly got Josephine = my -55 sedan... What a feeling!
              Thou I see you've been here since 2005, but anyway!

sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Daan View Post
                I’m starting this thread to kind of keep track of what I’m doing, and most likely asking all the Pros on here 500,000 questions! Like, ...where the HECK do I start?
                Post More pictures, of everything, inside and out! The hood, the grill, the trunk, the passenger side, the dash, the interior, and the undercarriage. Even the less attractive spot, that's being nicely blocked out, by your precious child? It looks like, she might share your interest? Carefully cultivate that! Does it run or not? Could you make some videos, of it, either way, and post them? It doesn't look, like it has been doing a whole lot more, than sitting for a good while. Looks like it's missing some hubcaps, and a wiper arm? Are they in the car somewhere? Although, they shouldn't nessescariIly be your first priority? Try the brakes, how do they feel? Have you gotten the hood open yet? Does it all look in order under nieth, what do you see? Pictures provide, quite a bit of accurate description. Please, share as much as possible?

​​​​​​​Mark
                sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Comment

Comment

Remember, pull the hood towards you as you open it and push it back a little as you close it. Lubricate the hood hinges and the latch. It is easy to buckle the hood just forward of the hinge when closing it if a hinge binds. The 56 Power Hawk is my favorite model Hawk. This car looks pretty solid. Good luck. A good idea to order a build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum.
                      james r pepper

Comment

You have what looks like a good car to restore especially with a 4 barrel carb and overdrive. Years ago I owned a Power Hawk which had a good body and interior but the engine wasn't in great shape so I replaced it with an NOS 289 long block. The 289 even with an automatic transmission made the car a nice driver. The Power Hawk was one of the cars I shouldn't have sold along with the 2 1956 Sky Hawks I also owned at the time. Oh well hindsight is 20-20. Bud

Comment

Comment

I got the Production Order from the museum. I determined I have the original engine (259) I have the 4-barrel carb and dual exhaust, and a 3-speed with OD.

Comment

The story I got from the seller I got was he bought it about 25 years ago, as a project and/or parts car. This particular Hawk was made in Vernon/LA, sold in Lodi, the guy I got it from bought it in Sedona, and lived near Sacramento. So this car never left very far from where it was made.

Comment

Working...
                              X