My Edelbrock Stimulus package.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Edelbrock Stimulus package.

I have been waiting until I got ahead enough to buy an Edelbrock AVS carburetor before putting my Jeff Rice aluminum intake on the Commander. My contribution to stimulating the economy (and the Commander) came in the form of a 500 CFM carb and air cleaner. Now I need to clean up and paint the engine and figure out the fuel line connection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5389.JPG
Views:	436
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1831959Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5391.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1831960Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5392.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1831961Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5395.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	1831962Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5396.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1831963
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Very nice indeed Howard. I am doing something similar with my Jeff set up being for a Quadrajet spread bore pattern. I hope my finished product turns out as nicely as yours did.
    Cheers, Bill

Comment

We will see how it looks on the car. I need to get some bolts (chrome or stainless?) and clean and at least paint the top of the engine. Also, I need to find a tidy way to attach the carb to the fuel pump. The line from the pump is 5/16" and the carb end is 3/8". I don't like the way it is attached at the moment.
      BTW The stock type manifold and Edelbrock carb now on the car will go on my pickup with the black air filter. No wasted parts.
      Last edited by 52-fan; 04-25-2020, 05:16 PM.
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        I need to get some bolts (chrome or stainless?)
        Stainless, is my personal preference! Polished it's every bit as attractive as chrome.

and clean and at least paint the top of the engine. Also, I need to find a tidy way to attach the carb to the fuel pump.
        Why wait? Especially if you're not planning on removing the intake, again soon.

The line from the pump is 5/16" and the carb end is 3/8". I don't like the way it is attached at the moment.
        Adapters for 3/8" - 5/16" aren't uncommon. What is it, about the way it's attached, that you don't like? What diameter is the rest of the fuel line? Is it still the original 5/16"?

BTW The stock type manifold and Edelbrock carb now on the car will go on my pickup withthe black air filter. No wasted parts.
        You should be commended, for putting the parts, in your possession, to good use! Good luck, with the most complete and successful implementation of your stimulus package, as possible! Please continue, keeping us informed? Thanks.

Mark
        Last edited by S2Deluxe; 04-26-2020, 11:58 AM.
        sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
          Very nice indeed Howard. I am doing something similar with my Jeff set up being for a Quadrajet spread bore pattern. I hope my finished product turns out as nicely as yours did.
          Cheers, Bill
          Quadrajets are horribly under rated. I rebuilt a 68 Qjet for my El Camino project. I normally use this 68 El Camino for towing (yes... towing; it is highly modified with boxed in frame rails and a hidden hitch set up, I can easily tow 9 to 10 thousand pounds without issues). So, most of the time fuel mileage isn't great. However, last trip I took with it unladened, we got 24 mpg driving a consistent 70 mph on the highway. 355 CI Chebby motor, with roller cam, HEI, and a 4L60E automatic OD trans with 3.31 rear gear.

With a custom curved distributor (10 degrees initial, 36 degrees all in by 3000 rpm, and 12 more vac degrees attached to manifold vac) I was able to jet the primary side down 2 sizes from stock. My son can't believe it is not fuel injected, given how easy it starts and how responsive it is.

I think a Qjet on a Studebaker is a fabulous idea.

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words, Lynn.
            I'll keep you posted once the project moves forward.
            Cheers, Bill

Comment

What Lynn said about the Q-jet...….

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                5/15" isn't a typical size, that must be a typo? Adapters for 3/8" - 5/16" aren't uncommon. What is it, about the way it's attached, that you don't like? What diameter is the rest of the fuel line? Is it still the original 5/16"? Mark
                5/16" of course. I missed the typo.
                The current carb has a 3/8" chrome line with a banjo fitting coming to the front. I like how clean the line is and would like to run a metal line from the fuel pump to the filter and on to the carb. Right now I have a 3/8" pipe attached there with a flare and the 5/16" line stretched over it. I don't like it.
                I know there must be a proper adapter to make the 5/16 to 3/8 transition, but I haven't seen one in any of the on-line catalogs. I would like to avoid a stack of brass fittings also. A filter with different size inlet and outlet fittings would be nice. I did see a barbed fitting with both sizes, but it would be for hoses and is not really what I want.
                I know this sounds fussy, but I would like to do it right one time and not have to redo anything later.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

The Q jet is a good carb But some of their floats get saturated with fuel. I forgot who was making good aftermarket floats but once they are replaced no problems , Ed

Comment

Ed, You are correct about the Q-Jet floats as they were made from some sort of high density black styrofoam material. Also I buff off the bottom of the jet wells and seal them permanently with Marine Tex (JB Weld would accomplish the same ) and never have leaks again.
                    Luck, Bill

Comment

I know this sounds fussy, but I would like to do it right one time and not have to redo anything later.
                      That's, without question, as it should be. It's your Baby, it's a Classic Stude, and Fussiness is the first Requirement!

Mark
                      Last edited by S2Deluxe; 04-26-2020, 12:24 PM.
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
                      X