Hawk look alike hood ornament.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk look alike hood ornament.

I came across this hood ornament the other day. It was bolted to an early 50s chevy truck, but fairly certain it was added by somebody. It is likely just an aftermarket piece, sold for generic use, but the shape of it looks a lot like the Hawk emblems used by Studebaker. The condition is poor, with corrosion in the pot metal. Has any of you seen anything like this before?
    Last edited by tsenecal; 04-22-2020, 05:21 PM.

This one for sale on eBay claims it is a Chrysler ornament, but, unless I misread the ad, it does not give the year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...oAAOSweDFc5uSW
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

From doing a Google search, found this for the 1953 Chrysler Windsor. Looks like other years had some variance on this "hawk" design. Cool ornament!

Click image for larger version

Name:	53-Chrysler-Windsor-1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	1831702
      Click image for larger version

Name:	6571073-1953-chrysler-windsor-deluxe-std.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1831701
      -Matt

1963 GT Hawk
      1960 Metropolitan Convertible
      1972 AMC Javelin/ AMX
      1956 Cushman Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by tsenecal View Post
        I came across this hood ornament the other day. It was bolted to an early 50s chevy truck, but fairly certain it was added by somebody. It is likely just an aftermarket piece, sold for generic use, but the shape of it looks a lot like the Hawk emblems used by Studebaker. The condition is poor, with corrosion in the pot metal. Has any of you seen anything like this before?
        I have one of the old Chev truck one's (somewhere ??) . It had several available, but the old hoods on these models was two piece and it had a seam cover down the middle to cover the gap. All the accessory and aftermarket hood emblems had about a 1" wide notch in them for this. They had a wider base. There were a ton of aftermarket as well as accessory "Bird" ornaments in the 50's

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it is an early 50s Chrysler. The cost of restoration would far exceed its value, but it might find a home on a rat rod.

Comment

I sent the question to a MoPar friend of mine. Here is his answer.

Hello,

.....The 7 Numbers were Light to Read....but I Looked Up Parts/Groups Starting with 1456... My Book Shows

1953-1954 Chryslers had Hood Ornament # 1456 679....................Hope This Helps...?
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hawk look alike hood ornament.

​​​
              Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
              1953-1954 Chryslers had Hood Ornament # 1456 679....................Hope This Helps...?
              Who copied, who? It's Okay, they don't look that much alike! Actually, to me, the Stude version looks much better!

Mark
              Last edited by S2Deluxe; 04-27-2020, 02:44 PM.
              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I'd love to mount one of those on top of the scoop on the GT hood. Unfortunately, it looks like the base is for a rounded surface, so would not sit flat on the GT hood.

Comment

Yes. The base is curved. It fits the hood on by 58 Transtar almost perfect, but might look out of place on a truck.

Comment

Working...
                  X