1960 Lark Assembly Line Photo Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark Assembly Line Photo Question

This photo was referenced in another thread and there is something not right with the rear panel. Any idea what's different and why?

Here is the link to the photo: https://studebakerarchives.photoshel...000ntGrucq8L.8

Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Some how, the negative for the picture was reversed. The name plate holes should be on the left and the gas filler lid should be on the right.

Bo
    Bo

Comment

Wow, that was quick, good answer!
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT

Comment

I recall the gas door being on the passenger side. Perhaps this was taken in a parallel universe where Studebaker is still in business.

Or the negative is reversed.

JT

Comment

Interesting series of photographs on that link. There are 11 assembly line photos that you can scroll through. For those of you who may be nearing the end of a restoration project and are delicately struggling with final adjustments when reassembling your expensive freshly painted body parts...look at the one titled "hood adjustment." No less than three assembly workers. Looks like two of them are armed with hammers and some kind of "whackamo" stick!

As an industrial sales and tooling supplier, I was heavily involved in the construction and startup of our local BMW assembly plant. Along with some of the representatives of various companies I represented, I visited other assembly and manufacturing operations where my products were in service at other automotive facilities. For someone who has never worked in such industry, it is easy to assume that there are precision machines spitting out perfectly formed pieces of sheet metal that fit perfectly in place. Hoods, doors, fenders, firewalls, deck lids, floor pans...all exactly the same. I have not been to an assembly plant since 2004. But, at certain stages of the assembly lines, you would still see two by fours, crowbars, and assorted handmade tools improvised to compensate and make adjustments along the line. Didn't matter if it was a Taurus, Impala, or a Mack truck. For large stampings, how the parts are handled, stamping lubrication, or a few degrees in temperature variations, can affect fit & finish.

For many of us, anyone with a big hammer wouldn't be allowed around our precious project.

But, there are skilled people in whose hands a hammer can be the perfect instrument.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Wow great series of photos!!!!!

Comment

I don't know if anyone else noticed but the last photo in the series is from late 1963 with the 64 models. See the white left quarter panel in the picture.

Bob Miles

Comment

The color shot of the chassis was amazing! Love those maroon ignition wires!

Comment

Did anyone else notice that Studebaker seems to have a bunch of "older" workers on the assembly line?

Perhaps the younger guys are doing more of the grunt work like stripping and cleaning castings in the foundry.
                  Dan Peterson
                  Montpelier, VT

Comment

Union jobs are awarded by seniority. By the late 1950s, the only workers they had left were those the company hired right after WWII.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

It looked like a calm relaxed pace.

Comment

Am very enthused about the high quality upholstering in the 60 Regal hardtop and the gloss on that red convertible body. As soon as this lockdown is over I'm going straight down to the dealer and place an order. Wonderful photos.

As a side note, I sprayed red Plastidip on my plug wires for my '63. They look great--and authentic.

Comment

The Body Line seems to have the younger Guys, maybe the "Final Line" was the place to be for the older ones after many years, as it may have paid more?
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I think the best men worked the “doll up” line where they had the skill and time to correct problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                              Am very enthused about the high quality upholstering in the 60 Regal hardtop and the gloss on that red convertible body. As soon as this lockdown is over I'm going straight down to the dealer and place an order. Wonderful photos.

As a side note, I sprayed red Plastidip on my plug wires for my '63. They look great--and authentic.
                              The red convertible is a 1961! Don't see many pictures of the '61s going down the line!

Comment

Working...
                              X